Old school console retrofit - Something I've always wanted to do

Very nice Sam!

Wife here is truly legacy and will not even look at the Logitech Harmony remote. 

I wrote an FAQ on the functioning of the multimedia center stuff (multiple remotes) and she put it in a plastic sleeve and its kept by her.

Well, my experience today with the Harmony has totally put me off on them.  Incredibly frustrating.  I had it setup with 4 activities, and they were ordered with the most used 2 on the main page.  I added an activity and they all reordered and there is no way to reorder them.  It is apparently completely arbitrary.

It amazes me how bad their software is.  I love the feel of the remote.  But everything else is really bad.  I have a very old Home Theater Master MX-700 that I am probably going back to because at least I have absolute complete control over every button and macro.

I know exactly what you mean. I was working on my remote late last night and it was a good thing the family was sleeping so they didn't have to hear me "complain" ;) I've never liked their remotes but picked up a 650 when I got it for around $30 just to try it out. I've really been wanting to replace it with an Android tablet, but keep waiting.

Those MX remotes were always nice!

Yup; the legacy (age) pieces of me lately (yesterday) timed the button / look / touch the remote and function relating to just getting up and "touching" the multimedia receiver a couple of days ago.  I do not need nor use reading glasses.

It was easier and faster to up the volume walking up to and turning the volume control knob (digital though; but it looks like a volume control) and I know that it works.

Over the years of automating / automation; while I did utilize IR blasters; never integrated or wanted to integrate IR into the home automation pieces; guessing that it didn't work just right for me...

pete_c said:
Very nice Sam!

Wife here is truly legacy and will not even look at the Logitech Harmony remote. 

I wrote an FAQ on the functioning of the multimedia center stuff (multiple remotes) and she put it in a plastic sleeve and its kept by her.
Don't let your wife know you called her old.

Back