Omni IIe & ATW Doberman Sounder Plus

taasss

Hi All,

I'm new to setting up my Omni, so this is a pretty basic question that I'd appreciate help on.

I have two ATW Doberman Sounder Plus that I want to configure as internal and external sirens. Both sirens have strobes and tamper detectors.

Each siren has 5 cables:

Black - Common
Red - Positive strobe and siren
Brown - Positive strobe only
Blue & Yellow - non-polarized tampers

My 'educated' guess is that I wire it as follows:

Black – Horn Ground
Red – Horn External (or Internal)
Brown – Output 1 (or 2)
Blue – Zone 1 (or 2) Positive
Yellow - Zone 1 (or 2) Negative

Does that make sense, is there anything else I need to do? Like wire up the ground for the output?

Thanks

Ben

I have used dobermans before and normally you would hook up either the red or the brown but not both. In your example, assuming you want the siren and strobe, just eliminate the brwon connection and it should work fine.

If I wire up the brown as an output can't I control it separately to the siren & strobe? That was my goal.

The second input would be used to latch the strobe on after a bell timeout or similar, not for controlling the strobe separately from the siren, although it could be used to just fire the strobe, however separation of the siren from the strobe couldn't be easily accomplished.

Considering what DELInstallations said in that it is either siren+strobe or strobe alone, your original wiring plan seems reasonable with one caveat. The Doberman I used draws 180ma for the siren+strobe mode. The sounder output can supply up to 1A so you are ok there. The strobe only is 90ma (on the model I used) and normal outputs can supply up to 100ma so this should be OK also. Just check the data sheet on your model to make sure that is does not draw draw more than 100ma.

I have neve done this but as long as you don't overload the output and the Doberman doesn't have a problem with both red and brown hot at the same time it should work.

Thanks, so it looks like the potential overloading issue is my own remaining issue. My plan is to program around this mostly. For instance I was planning to use the strobe to indicate the garage door is open after midnight (or something like that), if I also add some conditions (like alarm not active) I should be able to avoid the chances of having both on at the same time.

I'll also see if Doberman advise me ;)

So I got the strobe working, will try the siren during the day.

One thing I can't figure out is the tamper. I wired Blue & Yellow into Zone 9 Positive\Negative and configured it as a tamper (zone type). In PC Access it says Not Ready and Loop == 253?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Back