OmniPro II phone trouble after lightning strike

Bitjockey

Bitjockey said:
Our vacation home recently had a lightning strike which fried our land line demarcation point connections, along with my RJ31X plug, as well as some circuitry on my OPII.

Symptoms: PHONE TRBL NOW appears on my console, the PHONE LED is constantly ON even if my RJ31X is disconnected. If I connect my RJ31X my home phones stop functioning, no dial tone.

With AC power and battery disconnected, I measured about 18 ohms across GRN and RED terminals of the OPII, about 9 ohms between BRN and GRY, and there appears to be similar impedance between the phone input and output terminals.

I have an old Omni IIe lying around, checked impedance across inputs and saw open circuit, same across outputs, with about 8 ohms across GRN/BRN and RED/GRY. 

So it looks like a MOV or TRANZORB shorted somewhere, but I don't know where these components are on the PCB. There are 2 square yellow components labelled F2 and F5 near the phone terminals, but I don't know the part number or manufacturer, or the OPII schematic.

It would be a real pain to pull the system out and send it off for repair, I'm hoping somebody can assist in identifying which components may be at fault so I can swap them out with good ones.

thanks!

Our vacation home recently had a lightning strike which fried our land line demarcation point connections, along with my RJ31X plug, as well as some circuitry on my OPII.

Symptoms: PHONE TRBL NOW appears on my console, the PHONE LED is constantly ON even if my RJ31X is disconnected. If I connect my RJ31X my home phones stop functioning, no dial tone.

With AC power and battery disconnected, I measured about 18 ohms across GRN and RED terminals of the OPII, about 9 ohms between BRN and GRY, and there appears to be similar impedance between the phone input and output terminals.

I have an old Omni IIe lying around, checked impedance across inputs and saw open circuit, same across outputs, with about 8 ohms across GRN/BRN and RED/GRY. 

So it looks like a MOV or TRANZORB shorted open somewhere, but I don't know where these components are on the PCB. There are 2 square yellow components labelled F2 and F5 near the phone terminals, but I don't know the part number or manufacturer, or the OPII schematic.

It would be a real pain to pull the system out and send it off for repair, I'm hoping somebody can assist in identifying which components may be at fault so I can swap them out with good ones.

thanks!

Back