Omnistat RC-2000 DB9 Pinout

I've realized that it would be really easy for me to stick a Raspberry Pi and FTDI next to my thermostat. I bought a DB9F (standard female serial port) from Sparkfun, but now I need to figure out what to jumper and which pins go to the thermostat. I have the latest firmware (1.03D).

I found three PDFs. One is the same as what came with the thermostat. However, it only gives examples for using it with an HAI system or a relay. It says that the PC serial configuration is different but doesn't say what it is! :angry2: The file was too big to attach so here is the original link (from the old HAI website): RC-2000_Installation_Manual.pdf.

One says literally everything, but it is for the RC-201 (not RC-2000). It don't want to short my thermostat (View attachment Omnistat2_RS232_Connections (for RC-201).pdf).

The last one gives mostly information on the protocol (View attachment Omnistat Serial Protocol.PDF).

There are two jumpers. One is on the PCB. The newer PDF says that it should be taken off when used with a PC. There is another one on the mounting bracket between N/C and Black. The other colors/connections (no jumpers) are Green and Yellow.

I plan to do this over about 2.5ft of CAT6. Should I use specific pairs/wires for each connection? Should I combine the two wires in each twisted pair?

Should I take the jumper on the bracket off? Which colors on the bracket go to which pins on the DB9F jack (they are numbered)? Which pins would I jumper/connect to each other on the DB9F jack?

Thanks,
DaAwesomeP

Back