Omnistat2 and HVAC compatability

Recently updated to an Omni-IIe and 3 Omnistat 2 (RC2000) thermostats. I am now considering upgrading my HVAC to more efficient 2 stage heat pumps, Has anyone compiled a compatibility chart with the higher end HVAC systems and the OMNISTAT2. For example I know from this forum that the Carrier Infinity units require an OmniPro and you have to use the Carrier Thermostats. Not an option for me as I just invested allot into the Omnistats. So does anyone have experience with other manufacturers for my setup. ie Trane, Amana, Bryant etc? Thanks

How are you interfacing the 3 T stats with your current system?
Usually you need a zone controller to control the HVAC system.
The T stats talk to the Omni and zone controlelr, the zone controlelr talks to the HVAC system.

The Omnistats themselves are fairly simple relay outputs to the HVAC controller.
You'd have to find a zone controller that was compatible with your new HVAC system that accepted relay inputs for heat and cooling calls.

Not a trained HVAC professional so I will try to answer your question. My three current Carrier units are single stage heat pumps that are stand alone split systems. The Omnistats are wired to the blowers and are also Cat5 connected to the Omni IIe and then I remotely control through HAIKU or at the T-stat itself.

The Zone controller is only required if you are using dampers to split a single HVAC system into a multi-zone system. Since you're running 3 independent units from the sounds of things, each one can be controlled with a standard thermostat such as the Omnistat 2.

Most HVAC systems support very standard thermostats - it's only those special ones like the Carrier Infinity that have their own proprietary unit. As long as you're clear and upfront with your HVAC tech that you want to keep using your thermostats (and you can print them out a manual) - there's no reason you can't keep using what you have - just don't get talked into some fancy control system you don't need.

As far as the RC2000, it does support multi-stage heat pumps. If you look on HAI's site you'll see the chart showing the difference between the RC1000 and the RC2000, and on the list of supported features is the multi-stage heat pump, among a few others.

Thanks W2P. Your description is my system(s). Based on that I know I can't control an Infinity system with a IIe, so that option is off the table. What I am searching for, are there other high end multi-stage/high efficiency systems that we know will work with the Omnistats? (You are correct about the 2000 controlling multistage, that is why I chose them.) Others I have researched are the Amana and the TraneXL. I have been unable to determine if these are proprietary systems as well or if they are compatible with Omni. I am also open to other suggestions for High efficiency HVAC systems. thanks

If you are running independent systems, you still need to find something that will accept the relay outputs of the Omnistats. Most HVAC should be able to do this.

I would assume that some of the very high end systems use proprietary T stats with serial communications to the HVAC unit. Like Work2 Play mentions above. You won't be able to use something like that.

I have never found anything anywhere from anyone that clearly states HAI can be used with Trane Comfortlink II as its proprietary and cannot be controlled by anything other than Tranes ugly ass controllers. Man do I wish someone would tell me otherwise! Im screwed.

Back