OP2 & UPStart UPB Network Address Value

bighorn

Hello,
I'm trying to set up two Simply Automated UPB I/O devices for my garage openers.  I've downloaded UPStart and having it working with my programming HAI UPB PIM.  After reading the PCS Bulletin Omni App Note 200, it states that my "UPB Network Address" should be between 1-250 and needs to exactly match my PCAccess UPB Network Access.    This sounds simple.

My problem is when I set up my OP2 for some reason the UPB Network Address was set to 255. (Value found in PCA Dealer software latest version software under "Units/Dealer Settings".)

I've tried changing the Address in PCA to the value of 1, then "Write to Controller", but this address change causes me to lose control of my Units/Lights.  I restored the Network Address back to 255 again the system works fine.

Is there more then one place in PCA where I need to change my UPB Network Address?  Or do I need to do something differently to use UPStart on with my OP2 and PCA?

Thanks for reading and it you have any insights, I appreciate your help!

Wierd sounds like a glitch in the firmware.

Change it to a 3 digit number like 222 or 123 and see if that sticks.

Is there more then one place in PCA where I need to change my UPB Network Address?  

no

Or do I need to do something differently to use UPStart on with my OP2 and PCA?

no

Upstart will see newer UPB devices.

Hi Pete,
Many thanks for the quick reply.   I'd previously tried numbers 250 and just now 123.  Do you think the OP2 connected PIM somehow changes to "pulse" mode and out "message" mode.  I'm asking as the PIM activity (buzz and LED status light change, but not the units/lights) is similar to the problem I had when I switched the Serial port #3 to Serial port #2 while trying to troubleshoot the Notifier board.
Is there a way to tell if my PIM is in Message or Pulse mode or do you think I should try the 5/10/5 PM reset to get it into message mode?
As always really appreciate your help!
Cheers,
Geoff

I think Upstart will auto change the mode on the PIM when you are done using it if you configure it to do this.

View attachment 8928

Above written I have a few HAI UPB Pims configured here and 1 SA PIM.  Never disconnect the OP2 UPB Pim or the HomeSeer UPB Pim.  All Ubuntu here now on desktops and laptops.  For PCA and Upstart installed W2016 on a computer that I only use via RDP and it is connected to two UPB PIMs remotely.  I keep one floater for use with my laptop.

Do you think the OP2 connected PIM somehow changes to "pulse" mode and out "message" mode.

No. 

Is there a way to tell if my PIM is in Message or Pulse mode or do you think I should try the 5/10/5 PM reset to get it into message mode?

Yes using Upstart.  Reset sets the UPB PIM to default from the factory message mode.

Removed attachment which was just a picture of the configuration because the forum went to security mode for me to authenticate and that piece of the forum doesn't work.

Hi Pete,
Appreciate the response.  Not sure I understand what your suggestion.

From my understanding of the UPStart software in order to have it work with PCA, I need to set it up to match the current OP2 UPB Network Address (currently ID 255).  To recap my problem, when I put in ID 255 into UPStart it says ID must be between 1-250.

Since I cannot see your image, please confirm your recommendation.  
1) Reset OP2 Connected PIM via 5/10/5 reset button.
2) Do something with PC connected PIM w/ UPStart that will "auto change"?  If so how will this work?
3) Other

Thanks for all your help!  Sorry if I'm being dense!

From my understanding of the UPStart software in order to have it work with PCA, I need to set it up to match the current OP2 UPB Network Address (currently ID 255).  To recap my problem, when I put in ID 255 into UPStart it says ID must be between 1-250.

1 - Using Upstart reprogram all of your devices  to an ID between 1-250.
2 - Using PCA configure the ID setting to match the Upstart ID on all of your devices.

Attachments

• networkID.jpg
    networkID.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 0
Having issues tonight posting any images.

Do something with PC connected PIM w/ UPStart that will "auto change"?  If so how will this work?

In the upstart piece where you configure the serial port there is an option to set the PIM to message mode or configure it to return to message mode when you are done and exit the program.

Hi Pete,
Thanks for your continued responses.  Really appreciate your help...which I need a little more of!

Can you please provide detailed instructions or a link to some documentation on how to "Using Upstart reprogram all of your devices  to an ID between 1-250"?  I'm an UPStart newbe as I have done ALL my previous UPB programming using PCA with HAI HLC and just got a second PIM and UPStart installed.  As noted earlier my simple use for UPStart is to program two Simply Automated UMI-32 I/O devices for my garage openers and I don't want to screw up all my other lights/etc.   Given your wealth of experience, if I reprogram all my devices using UPStart, what's my risk of screwing up all my previous UPB HLC Light/Unit addressing and automation?  

Many thanks!
Geoff

Try this and if it doesn't work change PCA back to 255.  Wondering if HLC default ID is 255?

It is much to do (easy though) for one new device.

I did initially start in the HAI HLC mode then went to using PCS and SA lamp switches and after a few years went to pure UPB and SA.

For your new SA module not sure how it will be configured with HLC use.  It will be a sole UPB device using Links and an autonomous UPB connection (guessing here).

1 - backup you PCA stuff
2 - in Upstart go to network tab and change your ID to 250.
3 - program all of your devices to an ID of 250.
4 - go to PCA and UPB dealer settings and change your ID to 250

5 - test it.  You are only changing the ID such that Upstart and PCA it should work and not affect any automation lines or links (which HLC uses).

Here my garage stuff is wired to the panel as zones for open and close and output button to open and close the door.

Still cannot do pictures and links ....it just goes to the authencation stuff when I try then I lose my entire post.

Many many years ago did utilize the X10 alarm relay devices for these functions.

There is a difference between Unit Device ID and Network Address.  Network ID (UPB Network Address) can be 1 if you like.  UPB devices are assigned to a network then assigned an ID on that network.  

I would guess your PIM is correct by default, unless you changed it but you can check the PIM mode in UPStart.

Setup your devices as desired with UPStart.  Once completed, simply match the settings in Dealer PC Access;

As example, if you have Unit ID 65 on Network ID 001 with Network Password AB12, open Dealer PC Access and enter 1 for UPB Network Address, UPB Network Password AB12, Status 5, Transmit Count 2 and then write those settings to the OP (Communications>>Connect, Communications>>Write to Controller).

As a side note: I always recommend NOT writing to your Email Notifier with any OP change as the process is slooooooooooooooooooooooow to write and doesn't provide any benefit. 

Thanks StarTrekDoors for your suggestion, but I'm not sure I understand your suggested programming sequence.  It's my understanding that I need to use UPB Network Address 1-250 in PCA to have my it recognized by UPstart.  Are you suggesting I program only the two SA I/O devices in UPStart as new network and then match them in PCA? How is this down and does this mean that I keep my current "Dealer Settings/Units" UPB Network Address at 255?  Can you please elaborate on your suggested programming steps.  
Thanks for your help.

No - in the example I provided;

As example, if you have Unit ID 65 on Network ID 001 with Network Password AB12, open Dealer PC Access and enter 1 for UPB Network Address

Upstart Network ID is the same as PC Access Dealer Settings UPB Network Address.

NETWORK ID = NETWORK ADDRESS

Hi bighorn. 

Can you post screenshots of your UPStart ID tab for the SAI I/O, UPStart Scene for the relay, PC Access Scenes UPB Links for SAI I/O, and Units Dealer Settings?

Geoff...as per StarTrekDoors...it is mostly a set and forget thing with the UPB stuff...once configured you do not have to change anything...

Back