Open Source Hardware controller

The schematic is coming along swimmingly. The 18F97J60 is well suited for the task. I'll layout the PCB to allow a second minimized no PS to be stacked for 6 relay extender via I2C

I've also got a smaller cheap & cheerful device I call a Moth

The Moth 24F08KA101

XBee S2P (ZigBee)
RS232 port (could also be RS485/422/232 if anyone sees a need for that sort of communication)
Single IR blaster (PWM)
Relay
Two switch inputs OR opto isolated inputs (tell me before I start the layout)

It's got a name, the iQBee.
It's been awhile but incase anyone is still following this thread. I've got the MPU (PIC18F97J60) with Ethernet, 1 RS485/422/232, 1 RS232 or ZigBee, 3 relays, 3 IR jacks (multiuse, IR in/out, iButton or GIPO shown below) and either four or six GPIO channels, possible options might be analog 0-3.3V, opto coupled or generic, and a RJ4 for I2C expansion such as a relay board. Notable features are trickle charged RTCC and 2x 128kB EEPROM plus option for LM75 (temperature). An 2x8 IDC connector can be used to stack another iQBee on top of a master unit, the same plug can be also used as a HW SPI or standard LCD) connector.
IR_Jack.png

Typical IR Jack, the IROUT is a PWM output on the PIC for hardware IR modulation. iButtons / IR Blasters & TSOP1138 IR demodulators can be connected with minimal hardware, the jumper & diode allow for high current devices such as relays if desired.

Hopefully I'll have the BOM in a week or two, PCB layout will start at that point. All the major ICs have already been listed in the thread, missing just the voltage regulators.

The type of relays and their specs are either 2A or 5A just a matter of choosing one or the other.

Hopefully I'll have the BOM in a week or two, PCB layout will start at that point. All the major ICs have already been listed in the thread, missing just the voltage regulators.

The type of relays and their specs are either 2A or 5A just a matter of choosing one or the other.

I have been waiting for something like this.

I will pick up a extra large breadboard or two so I will be ready to give it a go.

It's not really a breadboard-able sort of project. All the ICs are surface mount, the largest is a 100pin TQFP. I'm doing everything I can to keep the component count as low as possible. Sometimes things go slowly as I see an improvement or tweak that makes me rethink a particular section. Unlike software which can be fixed after the fact hardware is much less forgiving.

Here's all the major ICs

PIC18F97J60
MAX3160 (RS232,RS422,RS485)
ADM3222 (3.3V RS232 converter with shutdown for XBee radio)
SN74LVC4245 octal 3.3V to 5V translator
DS1388 RTCC with trickle charger
25AA1024 EEPROM 128x8 (x2)
LM75 Temperature sensor
LM2575-5
LM1117

Bill, if you would like a schematic and/or layout review, I will volunteer to do that. I'm a HW engineer with over 20 years of experience.

Markd

It's not really a breadboard-able sort of project. All the ICs are surface mount, the largest is a 100pin TQFP. I'm doing everything I can to keep the component count as low as possible. Sometimes things go slowly as I see an improvement or tweak that makes me rethink a particular section. Unlike software which can be fixed after the fact hardware is much less forgiving.

Here's all the major ICs

PIC18F97J60
MAX3160 (RS232,RS422,RS485)
ADM3222 (3.3V RS232 converter with shutdown for XBee radio)
SN74LVC4245 octal 3.3V to 5V translator
DS1388 RTCC with trickle charger
25AA1024 EEPROM 128x8 (x2)
LM75 Temperature sensor
LM2575-5
LM1117

It's been awhile since I've posted but I'm still working on this project.

Question of the day.

I have a dedicated RS232/422/485 port, I also have a secondary RS232 or ZigBee port. I'm planning on making it ZigBee only (no external connector or MAX232). This would reduce costs and simplify the design slightly (no jumpers for port redirection)

Comments?

And yes Mark I'd value your opinion and any help you can offer, the schematics are too unpolished to publish. I might put them up as PNGs on a private link if anyone wants a peek.

Hi Bill-

No particular opinion on the Zigbee- I'm not a user (yet), but for me one port here or there is not much of a difference- I use four already, so I'm in expansion territory anyways. Having the option to not load the Zigbee could be useful.

Just let me know when you are ready for me to take look.

Markd

Back