OPII beep with loss of phone line

PaulD

Recently converted to Uverse for TV, phone and internet. Been very happy with it except for one issue. Service is all digital and it is giving me problems with my OPII setup. When the Uverse system has any problem, my RG (Residental Gateway) "resets" and that can lead to temporary disruption to the signals on its IP network while it is reseting. When the RG resets, the phone line appears to be dead to my OPII and that sets off the beeping at the consoles. In some cases, this may repete itself multiple times over several hours. When this happens at 2 AM, I experience some serious WAF feedback ;) . I want to stop the beeping when the phone line goes dead for short periods.

Looking at PC Access indicates I can stop this by changing the "Arming/Setting for Beep on Trouble" from YES to NO. However, that would kill the beeping for all trouble indications. I don't want to do that.

I also saw under "Miscellaneous - Dead Line Detect" a number that I am guessing is used to determine when a dead line actually exists. My number is currently set to 8. I have not changed that value so I assume that is the default value. Can I change that value to something else to make it less sensitive to short disruptions to the phone line? How is that number used? Does the 8 mean the line is not considered dead until after 8 seconds? If so, I would like to change that to a higher value. Any limits on how high the number can be?

Any other suggestion? Currently I have my phone line disconnected from my OPII while I figure this out.

I had the same issue when I had it hooked up to my VOIP service. I ended up getting the ABN router to connect to NextAlarm and have no issues now. I didn't want to turn off the notification as it's important to know if someone was trying to cut the line.

There is a setting that some people have gotten to work with VOIP. I cannot remember exactly but I think you need to put a 1 in the box.

Paul,

The dead line detect setting is related to the voltage on the phone line, not a time interval. Setting it to a lower value will lower the voltage threshhold that the phone line voltage must go below before a dead line condition is detected. Setting the value to zero will disable dead line detection completely, which might be the best solution for you.

The dead line detect setting is related to the voltage on the phone line, not a time interval. Setting it to a lower value will lower the voltage threshhold that the phone line voltage must go below before a dead line condition is detected. Setting the value to zero will disable dead line detection completely, which might be the best solution for you.

Brian...Thanks. After digging around some more I discovered the VOIP guidance on the HAI Knowledge Base where it says the same thing. The note did not offer your insight into the voltage reading but it did recommend resetting it to zero if I was having VOIP problems. I assume setting the value to zero will not impact any other OPII functionality other than detection of a dead line.

Back