Opinion poll, which WC8 feature set should be split into different firmware?

Hi Larry,  We have same problem here with our IE browser. But not sure if that is something easy to duplicate or fix by Cocoontech forum.

We still have firmware with those sensors on 1-wire bus.  For anyone does not want to use I2C or SPI bus, they can still use the firmware version with those 1-wire support in it.

For I2C bus that is longer, there is an I2C extender IC by Philips, part number P82B175TD.  Other IC factories also make this.  If you have a situation that is not working, please let us know, we can slow down the clock little bit so that longer distance is not problem.  So far, we think power line noise picked up on long wire cause more problem than anything else.

CAI_Support said:
For I2C bus that is longer, there is an I2C extender IC .... P82B175TD. 

I was just looking at this yesterday - it claims 50m over twisted pair.
Application notes for P82B96 also show it using optoisolators for a fully-isolated I2C bus!

For DS2438 1-wire battery monitoring sensor, it can be substituted by DS2777, with default address as 0xB2, it also allows to be re-programmed into a different I2C address.  Linear Technology also has a lot of battery monitoring IC that running on I2C bus.

Using I2C and SPI do allow WC8 board very versatile. We probably could add couple 32 bit RAMs to increase calculation space.  User also has the liberty to store configuration data or history data into external EEPROM.

Disabling Adfender in the ISY forum enabled me to use "Quote" and also paste text into the responses. This machine doesn't have any ad blockers and it still doesn't work. Thanks.

We consider to set PLC 3.02.18a3 firmware as next general release firmware, that firmware is very similar to current shipping 3.01.18a firmware, except removed DS2417 and DS2450 support.  at the same time, user can SET CTS, or SET AIP5-8 value.  X10 support is still in it, since it does not take much resource to keep it.

In this way, it has minimum impact on all users who wants to use I2C feature to communicate with different sensors, including RTC chips and other I2C multi-channel ADC chips.

SPI feature is still being beta tested. Anyone interested in that feature can send us private message to request that firmware update.

CAI_Support said:
 user can SET CTS, or SET AIP5-8 value. 

Just thinking here, briefly.... what size are AIP5-8? I'm guessing they're 16-bits each? (or are they more, to allow for people to use say, 22-bit external ADCs?)

Does this mean that if we don't have anything actually using them, we could "steal" another 4 x 16-bit (or better) working registers for our code? :)

Ross,  AIP5-8 are unsigned 16 bit integer. They are displayed on web gui.

Both CTS and AIP5-8 can be SET for versions 3.02.18a3 onward. CTS can not be used for anything but clock. AIP5-8 can be used as 16 bit unsigned int, if not used for anything else from PLC code.

We think some user may find DS2438 useful, to monitor current, monitor voltage, charge and discharge accumulators.  Then through I2C to display them on I2C based LCD display.  That can be done on 3.02.18a firmware through 3.02.18a3 firmware. 

We think some user may find DS2438 useful, to monitor current, monitor voltage, charge and discharge accumulators. Then through I2C to display them on I2C based LCD display. That can be done on 3.02.18a firmware through 3.02.18a3 firmware.

Here is one on a board with RJ45. Quite pricey but the OEM has offered to sell units without humidity sensor for almost plug'n play analogue inputs to 1Wire I/f.
Code:
http://www.sheepwalkelectronics.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=55

CAI_Support said:
From our research result, we think it is best to separate wifi from directly integrated into WebControl board. It is not only save customers money, but also allow user easily upgrade wifi part with newer standard.  For example, new Wireless-AC 1900 standard is much better than wireless-N standard.  If we made a lot of boards with wireless N standard, that would be doomed.  However, if user simply buy a TP-Network wifi bridge, and update that part will allow users always keeping up with new wifi standard.

WC32 does have USB port.  One thing we do plan is to provide future firmware update, that allows multiple USB devices on WC32. Even WC8 boards, with upcoming firmware update, it will allow SPI bus, so that it can go through SPI bus communicate with 2.4GHZ nRF24L01 wireless module controlled through PLC program.  Since that module is not on our board, we do not need to worry about FCC certification.  Although that is not regular wifi network, but it will allow some kind of wireless communication between devices.

any slight sign of easing the developers work when integrating the radio?
thanks

WebControl does not have built-in RF. The integration is through SPI bus and programming through PLC.  SPI programming in PLC is easy.  You should first try it, then post your actual question.  Any electronics has learning curve, especially for new comers.  But if you really want to learn, it is not hard.  WebControl firmware hides all low level timing and other hard parts.  You only need to know the higher level, like what would be your MAC address and what would be your IP address, gateway, etc, then follow the chip spec to send them over.

Back