Opinion poll, which WC8 feature set should be split into different firmware?

az1324,  those are created by foreign company without FCC certification, you won't even find manufacture's street address.  It has not included firmware, user must write their own. It says FCC complaint from oversea board factory, but FCC requires any final product with wifi must be certified, result stored in FCC database. How could a board not even have RF gain control firmware in it get FCC certification?  Whoever can say compliance not helping when FCC fined.   Microchip does provide a modular daughter board for wifi, we are sure that is FCC certified. but that cost is about twice much as those wifi router made by TP-Networks. From cost point of view, that does not make any sense to include that daughterboard.  What is the reason for Microchip priced so high?  Because this market segment is not that big, simply divide the cost by total number of boards, that is the price.

Our products include tested firmware and support. We are not same kind of products with those board only kits.

This subject is for WC8 feature, we do not want to get involved with commenting on other products.  If the comment offended anyone, please forgive us. Our discussion here is only for helping our customers.

They are definitely in the FCC database.  Firmware is included, but yes the user has to do some coding.  That also gives more software/hardware flexibility but it may not be ideal for everyone.  Spark also includes cloud services and carambola has huge system resource availability. 

Anyway, I'm just saying don't spread untrue information.

CAI_Support said:
Efried,

If you want wifi only board, this forum other section may have it, WC boards are not them. Although there are some low cost wifi boards out there online, those boards are not FCC certified, can not be operated in US or EU legally, and you will not find any reputable company selling them.  We are a US company following US law that can not skip FCC certification process if we ever plan to have any transmitter included in any of our product.  That cost is high.  If you are willing to shoulder that cost, we can help you custom design a board specially for you with wifi and anything you want on it.

If you ever developed a product like WC32, you will know the cost, and you will probably sell it for much higher price.  We are in business for many years.  We have seen many companies jumped in and not making money then get out in a hurry.  Those companies made products and expect to sell million boars in short period of time, so that they could pocket profit and went away.  You will not find those products on market long, nor any support or firmware updates. We are pretty sure your wifi ideal board is one of them.  We have different philosophy, we do development for providing a reliable solution, even that does not bring us any profit, or million boards sales in a long period of time.  WC8 and WC32 are two products we will continue develop and manufacture.
ok I understand - I will not give up searching ;-)
 One option which is used by olimex is that you only provide a standard interface- in their case USB- which may be used for everthing you don't have to care about concerning regulations. I really support a stable platform having soldered connections but the requirement going towards a wireless open environment is dominating. I have to say that my wish for a watchdog got weaker since the WCs are not stuck that often anymore loosing sensors etc.

From our research result, we think it is best to separate wifi from directly integrated into WebControl board. It is not only save customers money, but also allow user easily upgrade wifi part with newer standard.  For example, new Wireless-AC 1900 standard is much better than wireless-N standard.  If we made a lot of boards with wireless N standard, that would be doomed.  However, if user simply buy a TP-Network wifi bridge, and update that part will allow users always keeping up with new wifi standard.

WC32 does have USB port.  One thing we do plan is to provide future firmware update, that allows multiple USB devices on WC32. Even WC8 boards, with upcoming firmware update, it will allow SPI bus, so that it can go through SPI bus communicate with 2.4GHZ nRF24L01 wireless module controlled through PLC program.  Since that module is not on our board, we do not need to worry about FCC certification.  Although that is not regular wifi network, but it will allow some kind of wireless communication between devices.

Spark core is not made by sparkfun.  Dual band 2.4ghz 11bgn and 5ghz 11ac will be the standard for many years.

az1324,  we do have a lot of respect to your opinions and community behind it.  However, If using add-on CC3000 module, that is $35 each additional, cost almost twice much compared to TP-Networks wifi bridge/ap box. In addition, CC3000 communicate with CPU in SPI bus, which WC8 will support soon.   On top of that, users have to write their own firmware.  There were many xduino compatible kits out there, they took the original Italian company's idea, and advantage of open source, made a lot of variants, most them can not find their actual manufacture or who supports it.  That may be no issue for talented person like you.

The fact is that we are here to support our customers, we can also be reached by email or phone.  We support and help our customers, especially business customers to make sure their success.  WE do not want to argue with customers or potential customers, only want to state that we do not have bitterness with whatever anyone posted here, because we do believe overcome anything with good.

That $12 is chip only price for order of 1000 from TI.  DigiKey one piece IC only price is $22.68. Search for CC3000MODR on digikey site. For CC3000 board, search dig key part number 296-35492-ND . Also, the FCC certification TI did was for this board module, and board made identical to TI CC3000 EM could use TI FCC certification ID.  So far those on the market CC3000 boards not made by TI are not made identical to TI CC3000 EM board.  With antenna shape changed, they should obtain their own FCC certification. However, it is hard to find out who is the real manufacture responsible for that.

The lower the cost the better, because with SPI support, WC8 customers will be able to use it, too, with PLC programming.  However, I still think $18 TP Networks wifi bridge/ap box is cheaper and better solution for most people.

1pc is $14.50 tray pkg.  Spark core uses the TI antenna design.  Anyway, let's stop talking about it now.

as1324, IC are shipped in track package or tape package for different assembly process. Sure.  We always respect your technical expertise and want to listen to your inputs.  If I caused you any bitterness in this discussion, I ask you forgive me.

X10 is a dying art and could easily be split into a separate module and USB to X10 hardware readily (and cheaply) available elsewhere.

Insteon, z-wave and other HA styles could take the same form with a f/w module and USB to hardware external module.

I think the current beta firmware with DS2417, DS2450 and DS2438 removed from 1-wire, added both I2C and SPI support is a very versatile for different purpose, user can attach on the I2C bus a lot of external storage, like many different sensors and EEPROM chip, etc, and on the SPI bus wifi module, etc.  That is being beta testing now.

X10 code does not really take much RAM or code space. If we removed that users can not find replacement easily.  However, for DS2417, DS2450 and DS2438, Maxim has all of them in I2C control and they are cheaper then 1-wire to get, too.

I am new at this. The quote aad the cut 'n paste doesn't work on this forum with IE but...

I don't understand the value of discontinuing support for 1-wire devices and replacing it with I2C support. Would there be a rom code space gain and are I2C lines capable of connecting to devices 50m away without buffering transmission lines? Isn't that asking for hardware glitching and signal  trouble?

Back