Outdoor IP Camera Choices

Thanks for all of the posts everyone. This has been very informative. It looks like the best bet for me, if I want to meet all of my criteria, is to go with standard bullet cameras, and connect them to a networked DVR.

I'll be using Cat5e to connect them all, so I can always switch to an IP system in the future, if they come out with some smaller and cheaper outdoor units.

Interesting topic! I also want some CAT5 cams for my new house. My last house had several analog cameras and they didn't work very well. I just don't trust analog distribution anymore. Plus I want audio. Unless somebody has a better suggestion, I'm going to evaluate the MOBOTIX M12D-Sec-DNight-D43N43. Its a little pricey at $1225, but you get two cameras (color day, BW night), megapixel resolution, mic/spkr, and a PIR motion sensor, outdoor capability, mounting bracket, and low temp support (-22F to 140F).

--Bob

I'm interested in network cameras too, probably one can pan and tilt. Question is, I want to be able to see in the dark, probably not total darkness, but pretty close! I've seen some will go down to 0.2 Lux, but exactly what does that mean? I've checked some Axis network cameras and they seem nice, although not the price ;)

I agree with CollinR; analog cameras still provide the best bang for the buck. Combined with a DVR they provide tremendous functionality.

One of my friends recently installed four exterior cameras, a DVR, and all necessary cabling and conduit for less than $800. Three cams are nearly invisible (anti-vandal housing; basically an anodized aluminum knob) and the fourth is a larger unit (but smaller than a box of kleenex) peering down a 60' alleyway. All worked fine when the temperature dropped to -22C a few weeks ago (~-3F).

An LCD TV in the kitchen shows what's happening outside and his wife uses it to keep tabs on the kids playing in the backyard. I don't believe they've used video-evidence to determine who truly bopped whom on the head first ... but the potential is there. :)

I plan to install my own system and I'm currently reviewing low-cost DVRs. Just amazing what's out on the market nowadays for under $400. As for cameras ... $75 buys you an analog, exterior-grade, IR illuminated, colour camera in an anti-vandal housing with adequate resolution for security purposes.

One of my friends recently installed four exterior cameras, a DVR, and all necessary cabling and conduit for less than $800. Three cams are nearly invisible (anti-vandal housing; basically an anodized aluminum knob) and the fourth is a larger unit (but smaller than a box of kleenex) peering down a 60' alleyway. All worked fine when the temperature dropped to -22C a few weeks ago (~-3F).

Any idea what brand/model camera they used?

Any idea what brand/model camera they used?

He used the following camera although rather than silver it was dark purple (and less expensive). He bought it on sale; check with your favourite supplier at month-end when they may run clearance sales. I found something similar, for less, here.

Here's the DVR I'm considering for my home. I like the fact that it has a sophisticated video-motion trigger. The camera image is divided into cells and the camera will record only if an object enters a cell. You can control the number and placement of trigger cells, the speed of entry/exit (i.e. so a leaf blowing through a cell will not trigger recording) and several other sensitivity parameters.

Back