Outdoor IP Camera Mounting

Swancoat

Hi, I'm buiding a new home, and my intent is to have a few Outdoor IP cameras to help out with security. My plan is to bring Cat5e to the places where I want cameras in the future (under the eaves), leaving them behind a blank plate until I show up with the camera at a later date.

My question is how, exacty do these cameras mount? Do you need to cut a custom hole and mount? Do they attach to a gang box? Is it even roughly standardized, or does it vary wildly from manufacturer to manufacturer? I've looked through some manufacturer literature, and it basically seems to be of little to no help.

Thanks.

Hi, I'm buiding a new home, and my intent is to have a few Outdoor IP cameras to help out with security. My plan is to bring Cat5e to the places where I want cameras in the future (under the eaves), leaving them behind a blank plate until I show up with the camera at a later date.

My question is how, exacty do these cameras mount? Do you need to cut a custom hole and mount? Do they attach to a gang box? Is it even roughly standardized, or does it vary wildly from manufacturer to manufacturer? I've looked through some manufacturer literature, and it basically seems to be of little to no help.

Thanks.

From what I have seen and Im no expert they usually require some type of mount, which is not exactly standard. this also depends on what type of housing you are using, (ex. heated or not ect..)

I would also recommend also running a piece of coax, and 18AWG(power... how will you power your ip cams? POE? if not this will be required not jus recommended) just in-case you decide that IP is not the camera you want this way you could use standard CCTV cameras also.

Check out the links in my sig to the wiring your new house 101, 102, 103 for some great insight on what and where

It really depends on the style of camera how it is mounted but generally a single gang box works fine whether you end up using a bullet or dome style camera.

I am not sure I would bother putting in coax just in case you decide to go analog. It is simple enough to use baluns on both ends with Cat5e these days. More and more we install analog cameras using Cat5e with the idea that someday the customer will want to upgrade to IP cameras and it works great.

Mustangcoupe, I was planning on going POE to do this, so I figurerd Cat5e would do the trick.

And russban, from what you're saying it sounds like if I go ahead and drop Cat5e in a bunch of single-gang boxes I'll be good to go (I was thinking it probably would be a dome camera).

Thanks for the help!

My question is how, exacty do these cameras mount? Do you need to cut a custom hole and mount? Do they attach to a gang box? Is it even roughly standardized, or does it vary wildly from manufacturer to manufacturer?

I think you will find that "it depends". I am using Panasonic BB-HCM531A POE cameras as my outdoor cameras and all they need a a hole big enough to get your cat5 cable thru. The base mounts with 3 screws to whatever surface you are mounting it on. If you wanted to mount it at a spot where you already had a gang box, you would need to install a cover on the gang box and then mount the camera base to the cover... or mount it next to the gang box.
In my case, I mounted mine on the edge of my roof such that I could look down as well as up to the sky (storms in Oklahoma). I could not have installed a gang box on my roof and kept the installation weather proof.

Mustangcoupe, I was planning on going POE to do this, so I figurerd Cat5e would do the trick.

And russban, from what you're saying it sounds like if I go ahead and drop Cat5e in a bunch of single-gang boxes I'll be good to go (I was thinking it probably would be a dome camera).

Thanks for the help!
You should be fine, most dome cameras I have seen have screw holes that fit a single gang box. Of course, having said that several people will let me know which cameras don't! LOL!

i'm sure if it were me I'd just put a single gang box in with a metal cover; then it'd be strong enough for you to drill a hole and whatever mounting holes are needed as well when the time comes.

I think you will find that "it depends". I am using Panasonic BB-HCM531A POE cameras as my outdoor cameras and all they need a a hole big enough to get your cat5 cable thru. The base mounts with 3 screws to whatever surface you are mounting it on. . .
Ditto. With this style of camera, you just need to use gravity to your advantage, specifically (1) protect the camera from direct precipitation, under the eave is normally sufficient; (2) hang the cable(s) below the camera so that any water is naturally drained away.

I have one camera mounted under an eave. Its been there now for a couple of years working fine. It is not an IP cam though and it is using CAT5 baluns. I was concerned about some wasps nests but none have been there to date. If I were to install a gang box it would have been done on the adjacent wall of the eave. My eaves are just thin sheet metal. A gang box setup would have needed the support of a joist (at least for me to be comfortable). My neighbor never added cams but did put gang boxes / electrical under his eaves with switches in the second floor of his home for Christmas lighting.

Back