Outputs

Thank you. I had not noticed that. I reached out to System Sensor last year some time and inquired about using both modules. They gave me this document (attached, I am not sure where it is on the site).

I am using figure 2 per directions I recieved from them (I was trying to find the email but I have not found it so far).

I'll have to pick up a resistor and try it (the note about it being required to reset seems real promising). I am using the alternate resistor at the last smoke to accomodate the 2WMOD2.

The 2WMOD2 appears to be working, as the lights are blinking (meaning it is communicating) and I have done walk tests in the last iteration.

I'll post back what I find, and thanks again!

Attachments

• 2WMOD2_and_RRS_MOD_Wiring.pdf
    88.5 KB · Views: 45
The method I noted seems to work fine on Ademco and Napco panels etc. I beleive it will be fine with the ELK M1 as well but it needs to be verified.

System Sensor and Ademco are both divisions of Honeywell. THat may be why they state how to do it for Ademco panels and no one elses in their instructions?????

I will try and give ELK a call tomorrow if I have time and see if they have or can look into this. I would feel more comfortable if they bless it. Those guys are extremely knowledgeable.

Update: I put in the 470 ohm 1/2watt resistor between the orange and white wires of the rrs-mod.

I tripped it and the sensor went off locally. The others did not go off. I poked my head upstairs to confirm and they were silent. I didn't realize it until after but the alarm was not sounding (the elk siren).

I used option 2 to reset the smokes and it worked.

For a few seconds. Then the alarm tripped again and the elk and all sounders fired. I had to shut off the unit to turn the alarm off (I got to option 2 but it would not trigger).

Family is home now so I will need to test more tomorrow and recheck my wiring.

Check the wiring again. Hopefully this will work. It has been verfied to work with at least two other brands of panels. I didnt have time to look at this anymore today.

Before reset you have to silence the using your code if I remember correctly. If you dont you will go right back into alarm. If the other detectors did not sound its possibly a problem with the trigger. If you used the panel siren output to trigger the module thats why the detector sirens did not go the first time if the panel siren output did not go right away.

Is Fire Alarm Verification enabled???

I actually dug out a few of the 2WTA-B detectors yesterday at work that are not in use in a test setup. If I can track down an extra reversing module I might be able to take them home overnight and try them on my panel.

I did not have a lot of time, so I did plan on going over the wiring again (I didn't have the resistors handy and by the time I got back I did not have much time before everyone got home (most people, including my family don't appreciate screaming smokes in tandem).

I did not reset using a code, I just went to reset the smokes so that may explain part of it.

To test I have been using a canned tester and spraying it at the detector.

Fire alarm verification is not enabled (I actually went back and checked that a little earlier).

I may be able to get more testing in tomorrow afternoon.

Got tied up with work stuff and now I'm in the airport to head to Chicago, so I will have to come back to this testing when I get back :)

O'Hare. Just got back this afternoon.

As you know there is supposed to be a big storm tomorrow so I doubt I will be able to trigger the alarms since the rest of the family will be home.

I'll recheck the wiring and should be able to run more tests on Tuesday. Hopefully I have good news then.

O'Hare isnt so bad. I use that when I go to Chicago area.

I really think it will work with the information I provided. If not I will try and call someone I know at System Sensor.

From what I can tell..........

the RRS-MOD is a break before make relay (has to be). During the reset some panels will go into trouble and not reset if the resistor is not there. It depends on the particular panel.

Its not a problem of panel but the compatibility of this accessory with the functionality of certian panels. The resistor is a work around to keep the panel from going into trouble during the reset.

It may not work with every panel out there but seems to address this issue with most.

I would contact ELK Tech Support if this doesn't work.

I've been swamped and have not been able to get back to this. I'm probably not going to be able to review the wiring and run the test until Thursday.

I suspect you are right, and this will work. I was rushed when I did it so it is very likely the issue was mine.

Dont rush on my part ;)

I was researching the same issue myself for work and wanted to keep you in the loop. If it doesnt work just let me know since I do have some very good contacts at System Sensor who probably would not mind helping out.

Again I have not tested this on an M1.

I've been swamped and have not been able to get back to this. I'm probably not going to be able to review the wiring and run the test until Thursday.

I suspect you are right, and this will work. I was rushed when I did it so it is very likely the issue was mine.
Mike, did you ever get this working?

i think my prewired smokes are two wire so i'm thinking i may be going down the same route.

TIA for all your guys help/advice!

Unfortunately I have not. Been swamped at work still so very little has been completed on the HA front (other than Sage fixes which were to make the wife happy). Plus this one has been harder as I need to get everyone out of the house to test this (the reversing relay does work so every smoke detector in the house does go off).

One thing I thought of recently was to check the relay rules and such, as so much time had passed since I started they may have been changed. Also note, I saw later indication (here in a post) that the Elk supported the clean me signal in these smokes directly.

If I can make some testing time and further this I will post the results.

Back