PCS MiLightStyle Anybody using it?

I totally agree guys - I love my UPB... It would be nice to see new devices popping up all the time like they are with other technologies though. And I couldn't agree more about the lack of a good controller being a major issue. It's fine with a bigger controller like an M1 or a software solution... but it's hard for people just starting out to make that large scale investment - and it's harder for me to recommend it.

I did get a response from Web Mountain today that encouraged me. I'm not sure how much they wish to share at this point so I won't quote them, but the good news is that they seem to be making progress. Of course I wish they could do it 6 times faster!

I think I am at 4.5 years now with UPB in my home and have not had a single device fail. With Insteon it was a miracle if I went over a week without something dieing and have to be replaced (at the time Insteon quality was horrible). I actually forget about the UPB as it just works. Occasionally there is something I wish to do that a good controller could do better if there was one.

I have corresponded with Web Mountain staff and I think they are a good group of guys but as with many companies their resources are limited.

Ok its another 6 months. Still no instruction manual online on PCS website, no notifications of firmware updates (I have V.3.0.14) and no news that I know of. Anyone hear anything? I spent a few bucks on this and there seems to be zero support from the mfg.

Unfortunately, regardless of the merits of UPB, it seems to be flailing in comparison to the rapid rise of Z-Wave and even Zigbee. I really do believe that if PCS wasn't at the helm, it might be going somewhere. I guess that's where an alliance vs. a licensor benefits.

I've seen very minimal progress with the RUC. The developer of their iOS app contacted me before christmas for feedback/suggestions but I haven't seen a single update since. The RUC itself had a big firmware update a few weeks ago but the release notes talked about all the support they added for Insteon and X10.

Personally I think I still like my UPB solution over the available Z-Wave solutions, but it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see that UPB is going nowhere and Z-Wave is spreading like a CA/CO wildfire in August.

</Pessimism>

Unfortunately, regardless of the merits of UPB, it seems to be flailing in comparison to the rapid rise of Z-Wave and even Zigbee. I really do believe that if PCS wasn't at the helm, it might be going somewhere. I guess that's where an alliance vs. a licensor benefits.

I've seen very minimal progress with the RUC. The developer of their iOS app contacted me before christmas for feedback/suggestions but I haven't seen a single update since. The RUC itself had a big firmware update a few weeks ago but the release notes talked about all the support they added for Insteon and X10.

Personally I think I still like my UPB solution over the available Z-Wave solutions, but it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see that UPB is going nowhere and Z-Wave is spreading like a CA/CO wildfire in August.

</Pessimism>

I have had UPB for about 5 years now and I have not had a single device fail. It just works. But a nice controller is still lacking. For all of us that wasted money with the PCS MiLightstyle that they apparently have abandoned we basically got screwed by their hype. Its a shame as UDI really is a great company and their reputation for service is fantastic. That is why I didnt hesitate to fork over the money for the MiLightstyle since I know that UDI has their act together. I suspect that PCS didnt pay them to support this product. To bad PCS wont just hand the whole thing over to them and let them do their thing and make some money and provide a sorely needed controller.

Not sure what I want to do at this point.

I agree - I don't know what happened to PCS but if they can't properly support the product, they should figure out a way to turn it over. If you go look at their web-site, all activity stopped on 2011 (monthly winners, newsletter updates, etc). It just seems like they're going down and taking the others with them.

Maybe Leviton can buy the protocol in order to keep HLC alive and turn it into something more useful!

I agree - I don't know what happened to PCS but if they can't properly support the product, they should figure out a way to turn it over. If you go look at their web-site, all activity stopped on 2011 (monthly winners, newsletter updates, etc). It just seems like they're going down and taking the others with them.

Maybe Leviton can buy the protocol in order to keep HLC alive and turn it into something more useful!

I think Leviton wont touch UPB because they are already so well established in Zwave. Would it really pay for them to invest in UPB?

My devices are only 5 years old and I should get another 10 to 15 out of them so I hate to change.

Back