Pool control - Z-wave?

Anyone have any recommendations on pool control. I currently used automated outlets by the pool that switch the pump and heater on and off. I have always wanted to install temperature monitoring. I only have one AC line run out to the pool and it would not be easy to add any other hard wire runs. Therefore I was thinking that Z-wave might be the best way to go. I see that Intermatic has something. Any other ideas/recommendations. Thanks.

Do you want the temperature data in your home automation system, or do you just want the ability to turn on/off a heater based on temp? If you want to get the data into your system, then you will have to go the Arduino route, and make it so it interfaces the controller, or the temp probes directly (the route I am taking).

http://www.smarthome.com/25109/Intermatic-PE653RC-MultiWave-Z-wave-Pool-Spa-Home-Control/p.aspx

The Intermatic PE653RC MultiWave Z-wave Pool/Spa/Home Control allows you to automate your pool/spa and even your home with the most technologically advanced wireless control system in the market today! The MultiWave is designed as a "plug and play" system; install the water sensor and watch the MultiWave thermostat come alive to maintain your pool and/or spa water temperatures. Install the air sensor and watch the MultiWave freeze protection system come alive to protect your investment. Control up to five pool/spa functions, and three ON/OFF events per equipment. It features full variable speed control and backlit LCD readout. This controller has an internal 24-hour digital clock and a memory back-up. A wireless waterproof handheld controller is included.

This unit seems to do the job - it refers to a water sensor and a multiwave thermostat, perhaps built in? Also, there is one review for this unit on the smarthome site regarding local control at the unit which is not favorable. I don't understand the review as it seems to indicate that their pump has multiple levels. My pump is just on and off. Also, I cannot find any documentation on this pump - I have found the intermatic web site but it is impossible to navigate.

The PE653RC looks like a pretty nice device. I just glanced at the installation manual a bit to see what it had to offer. The biggest issue I can see for the installation would be figuring out how to enclose the wiring. I have a Pentair system (way more expensive) that includes a "load center" which is really a weatherpoof breaker panel plus a place to house the electronics and relays. It looks like you'll need to build that yourself with the Intermatic system.

The pump the reviewer is referring to is a pentair intelliflow. It's variable speed, very quiet, really efficient, and quite expensive. It has a local LCD control panel that gets locked out when being controlled by it's rs485 interface. When the Pentair control system is put into "service mode", the panel releases the pump to allow for local control... sounds like the PE653RC could be missing this feature. If you search the forums here for "pentair", you'll find a couple of threads about controlling the pump without buying a pentair interface. The price of PE653RC is pretty good for just that alone.

I really like my IntelliTouch system but have always thought it to be overpriced. Had the PE653RC been available a couple of years ago I am sure I'd have given it a much closer look.

Thanks. I went through the manual and it seems to be a fairly comprehensive pool controller. I am trying to figure out what it will do when added to my Z-wave network at home (running on Homeseer). It is not clear what can be read from this controller when it is joined to a broader Z-wave network. For example, can I read the water temperature?

Thanks. I went through the manual and it seems to be a fairly comprehensive pool controller. I am trying to figure out what it will do when added to my Z-wave network at home (running on Homeseer). It is not clear what can be read from this controller when it is joined to a broader Z-wave network. For example, can I read the water temperature?
Intermatic is using a Z-Wave "chip" in this unit but it is not compatible with other Z-Wave products or networks. Basically (sadly), it will only operate as a stand-alone unit with its own remote.

So they are using z-wave as their own personal communication protocol between their proprietary hand held controller and the unit? That totally defeats the purpose! I have three z-wave outlets installed at the pool right now and I use them to turn on and off the pump, heater and light. This works well now.

Back to my original question - is there an easy way to add z-wave (or wireless) temperature monitoring to my pool so I can control the heater in a smart way?

There is a thread here dicussing the Intermatic one: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=3242.0

Back