Power consumption of electric / magnetic door locks

Madcodger

Here's a question I have yet to see answered, but now need to know... Does anyone have any idea about how much power (in kwh or watts) an electric door lock consumes?

I'm thinking of putting one on an interior pocket (sliding) door that goes to a basement utility room where we're moving our dogs' beds. It wouldn't need to be very secure as we just want to keep the dogs from figuring out how to slide the doors open and the locks typically sold for those types of doors often where out quickly, based on past experience. But I'd rarher avoid a power hog as we're trying to lower our overall energy consumption. Thoughts and experience appreciated, along with any other ideas...

BTW, also searching for well-insulated dog doors if anyone knows of a good brand, as that's another upcoming project.

I have also seen ratings of 320ma to 640ma depending on brand, type (Double v/s single), and voltage (12vdc/24vdc). 24vdc mags locks have a lower current requirement. Most maglocks are multi voltage. Check before you buy. 

Do you plan on leaving it locked or unlocked most of the time? You can purchase locks fail safe (unlocked) or fail secure (locked). If you want the door to stay locked a fail secure lock will only need power when unlocking.

The magnetic locks that hold a door shut are:

1) Very strong.  If you tried to force it open, it would almost certainly rip the screws out before you pulled the magnet apart.
2) Use very little power, as stated above
3) Don't keep the door locked when power goes out unless you have a backup power source.

Thanks, all, for great info. We would have this fail safe, for safety.

As mentioned, I only need this for keeping the dogs from opening this interior door as they figure things out quickly and are still pups, so potentially destructive. With low power consumption this becomes a viable option as my Elk is nearby.

Circa 1980s' needed to purchase a "doggy door".  It was too expensive for my tastes.  It was very well built non the less. 

My issue was an attempt in vain to "teach an old dog new tricks"; after all that was done; the three year old dog ("max") just wouldn't use it.

Reading this whole thread again... If you are only wanting this mag lock to hold the door from the dogs pawing them open then I would definitely consider a mechanical option over installing a mag lock.

Maybe a walk thru, hardware mounted baby gate would also be an alternative. It would look a whole lot better than a maglock with all its bracketry and mounting hardware, IHMO.

Thanks, gatchel. You may well be right.

It"s in a utility area, with an existing door, but I want to do this without too much expense or effort, and it still needs to look reasonable. My desire has been to avoid those flimsy latches common to pocket doors, while having a way to open from either side as the finished basement is on one side of this room, and the garage on the other. These locks looked like a good idea initially, but now I'm thinking of other ideas as well.

Pete_c, we have two pups from the same litter (boy / girl). The girl figured a similar door out in about a minute, while the boy took two months! My wife got great joy in pointing this out...

Back