Power Screwdriver recommendations

pete_c

Guru
My very old Black and Decker power screw driver has died (RIP). 

I had updated with with new NiCads a couple of times and worked better with updated NiCads.

I am wanting to keep the cost below $100 as I see some now for close to $300.

Currently have a Milwaukee wireless drill, Ryobi hammer drill and happy with those devices.

Any recommendations for a well made / built power screwdriver for less than $100? 

I forget the brand and price, but was surprised by the new screwdrivers that have a tilt detector built in. You can turn the screwdriver and it will activate the motor, turning back stops, turning more back reverses. I didnt use it, so not sure how much of a learning curve that is compared to trigger actived units. Ill see if I can find a link.

Possibly this one, or similar: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011WRUODC/ref=psdc_9022390011_t1_B008R5259Y
Im actually surprised its rated 4.6 stars... thats pretty amazing for any product like this. I may have to pick one up...

(Note you can get a refurb for $50 with DeWalt warranty, or a new dual battery version with conduit reamer for $80: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JG7PK6W/ref=cm_wl_huc_continue)

I see black and decker makes a palm sized version as well.

Yeah looks like the DeWALT or Hitachi will be the choice.  Keeping the budget to less than $100 for this device.

tools.jpg

I do not have any DeWALT or Hitachi power tools today.  (newer are Milwauki, Ryobi, Craftman tools).

I have a DeWALT 27 gallon air compressor / air tools that has worked fine for years now.

I’m not familiar with the Hitachi... I do have what looks like an earlier model of this:
https://www.amazon.com/Dewalt-DCD771C2-Cordless-Lithium-Ion-Compact/dp/B00ET5VMTU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526136489&sr=8-3&keywords=DeWalt+drill+driver

It’s my main drill and go to for screws when I don’t use a hand tool. Battery seems to last forever in the bag for casual use. Decent torque, and about half the size of a standard size electric drill. Mine always has a reversible standard and Phillips bit in the chuck, so I can just pull it out and use it as a driver. Easily reversible and variable speed trigger pull that works for very slow screw starts. I’ve had it for a number of years and think I finally had one battery lose power. I hardly ever pull out a plug in drill now, unless I need to bore something with a larger hole style bit (like 3/4”).

Yeah this would be the first Hitachi that I have ever purchased.  It does have a lifetime warranty.

Old Black and Decker was around 15 years old or so.  About 5 years ago updated it to new batteries which worked well and lasted much longer.  Then I overcharged it and burned out the batteries such that I threw it out a couple of weeks back.  This one used nicads batteries.

blackanddecker.jpg

Yeah here main wireless drill is a Milwaukee that came with two batteries, charger and case.  Thinking it is this one.  Use this one all of the time.

milwaukee.jpg

My current electric drill (and hammer drill that I use for cement hole drilling is this one.  It's old now.  I used it yesterday to mount a couple of electrical boxes on the cement walls in the basement.

ryobi.jpg

Pete, my power screwdriver gave up a few years ago, just like yours did.   At the time, I researched the options and upgraded to a compact impact driver and never went back.   They are less likely to strip screws, and have a LOT more power.   I went with a 12v Makita that is currently discontinued.   The replacement is the DT03R1.   Try it and you will like it.

I've had a couple of the black and decker ones like you linked Pete - but I never had any success with them because I didn't maintain the batteries well.  I finally gave up and just got a little $99 dewalt screw gun.  What's nice is that the charger for the 12v Li-Ion batteries also charges the big brother 20v batteries.

I have more dewalt tools than one man (who's not in construction for a living) should have - I've always been happy with them.  Only complaint I've heard from others was the weight on the bigger tools but that's never bothered me.

Rockinarmadillo is right too about impact - I use the little one for sensitive stuff but if I'm doing any sort of outdoor work, the impact is the only way to go.

Yes here not really a power user of tools. 

Mostly the old stuff is Sears Craftsmen tools from the 1960's passed down to me from my father and father in law.

First under the eave camera installation I used an old power drill via a long extension cord up at the top the ladder.  What a PITA that was. 

That was when wife purchased a wireless drill for me and a belt to hold my tools as I spent some time on the top of the ladder at the time.

Impressed here with the torque delivered from the Milwaukee wireless drill.

Have always used Dewalt and have been happy.  Replaced the old nicad ones with Li-Ion a couple of years ago and like these even better.  Never had any issues with clutches or chucks in these.

Really like the balance/ergo feel of all Dewalts except for one original drill model that was front heavy that I didn't like.

Back