Power supply for XEP

mikefamig said:
Whether a UPS or an auxiliary 12volt power supply the wiring would be the hard part. The switches and gateway are in three different locations. Plus my 4 amp Altronix would have to be replaced for a larger supply if I went that route. Decisions decisions.

Having the devices in 3 different locations does make it a bit uglier, unless you are willing to run some wiring to distribute the 12VDC to them.   In my case, I have them all in a single networking cabinet, so it was easy to do.   I went with a second Altronix power supply to power the networking stuff rather than sharing the one that powers the M1.   

RAL said:
Having the devices in 3 different locations does make it a bit uglier, unless you are willing to run some wiring to distribute the 12VDC to them.   In my case, I have them all in a single networking cabinet, so it was easy to do.   I went with a second Altronix power supply to power the networking stuff rather than sharing the one that powers the M1.   

Oh Noooooooo  not another power supply!  I'm leaving this one for another day. It's too nice out to open a can of worms like that, I'm going outside to get some sun on my face.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
DEL

At this point my network gateway and switches have no power backup and I plan to remotely control the Elk using the telephone in the case of a power outage.

In your experience do most residential installations have their network power backed up? If yes then what does this look like? What sort of backup supplies do they use? The Elk is cabled directly to the gateway but I also have cameras that use two switches and would back up the network if there is a simple way to do it.

Mike.
Generally, I'm not using TCP/IP as a primary comms route, only convenience, or at minimum, if using that route, I have a backup communicator, so really, I don't care about a UPS on the networking gear. Enough of an outage, it's going to have connection problems at the pole or local level anyways. IMHO a UPS on the networking gear is just borrowing a short amount of time (band-aid) or stabilizing out the power (conditioning) and really not much of a warm fuzzy feeling backup anyways.

I cut all my wallwarts and connect then to a aux power supply. With the exception of the ELK wall warts.  I also have then all run through a relay so I can remote boot any device. Currently I connect IPTV box, Android TV box, Dune HD, Vera, XEP, 3 routers, 5 cams, secruity PIR's, OC sensors, screamers, DSL modem, On Controls IP/IR & IP/232 boxes, all connect this way.
I also have 2 PS212's on my ELK, and other than smokes, everything is powered with them so I take all the load off the Elk panel. Elk only uses it's amp to charge it's batteries and power the smokes and keypads.

This is also great for troubleshooting any comm issues with these devices making it easier to pinpoint which is the troublemaker. Installs are much cleaner.  Not to mention the savings in power use not using ugly wall warts.

I use a wall mounted 16 channel 32 amp(total) regulated PS in a lockable can. Cost me $18 new. 

bucko said:
I use a wall mounted 16 channel 32 amp(total) regulated PS in a lockable can. Cost me $18 new. 

Where did you get that that much power supply for that price??

Mike.

Back