Prewiring for Home Automation

the CATV's are digital. Can't remember if they broadcast the old VHF bands analog or not. I think they require a STB for even the basic-basic low tier.

Most likely they're going with the native cabling and methodology that each company is used to doing. ATT is primarily in the UTP business. They moved into premade whips for the STB to the tv and the CATV's don't generally deal with UTP, so it's less that they'd have to contend with also.

More of a convenience factor and inventory item than technology limiting item I can see. Why pay your cable monkeys to carry different cables when you can have your generic bulk cable on the truck and simplify. Unfortunately, they can barely get regular F connectors on right half the time, imagine with IDC, RJ's and the like.

DELInstallations said:
the CATV's are digital. Can't remember if they broadcast the old VHF bands analog or not. I think they require a STB for even the basic-basic low tier.

Most likely they're going with the native cabling and methodology that each company is used to doing. ATT is primarily in the UTP business. They moved into premade whips for the STB to the tv and the CATV's don't generally deal with UTP, so it's less that they'd have to contend with also.

My question to you then is - can I use the existing cat5e cabling in my house to connect Cox set top boxes (or any other stb) to the Cox cable modem (gateway)?

Mike.

DEL

Can a balun simply be used on each end of the cat5e to convert back and forth from coax and cat cable?

Mike.

FWIW, TDS Fiber is being installed in my area starting this month.  It runs on all Catx, no coax required or used.  STB's can connect either via Catx wiring or wirelessly.  Connection from STB to TV can be either coax or HDMI (or Composite for that matter)

What I'm looking forward to is the day that these infernal STB's are eliminated entirely.  I realize they are for service and revenue protection for the providers. So fine! Build an app that will run on my smartTV and charge me monthly for that! But get rid of the wiring, power, space needs for something that is nothing more than a protocol handler and translator.

Back