Problems with new LTE install

charliebarns said:
Well I'm not sure about damage being done or the unit is defective. I don't think applying less Power would damage it. This console was purchased "new" from an online retailer. However, in opening the package it was clear it had already been installed. The lcd is quite scratched up and the wires had crimps on them. If I wasn't already at the vacation house I would have returned it.
Your not applying less "power" your applying less voltage, and yes, it certainly could damage the board, but it might have been a damaged unit to start with.  In the future read the instructions before applying power to something, and always use the correct voltage supply. 

charliebarns said:
 I don't think applying less Power would damage it.

charliebarns - You are incorrect in your unfounded assumption.  Applying less "voltage" can indeed damage electronics, which is why most manufacturers, including Leviton, specify that you use an AC power supply of very specific voltage, not a range of voltages, not less, not more, but specifically 24V. 

It is still likely you damaged the device no matter your feelings and sad you would pawn off your mistake to the retailer who had nothing to do with your not following the manufacturer's requirements and even if the "new" product was used, damaging a used product then returning it is still not very ethical.  You should have contacted the etailer/retailer immediately and requested a replacement, returning exactly what you received without attempting to damage it by using the wrong power supply.

Reliability factors
a) Electric load (overload)
The operation conditions, such as voltage, electric current and electric power, and the combination of these
operation conditions with the ambient conditions (device use conditions) greatly affect the life of semiconductor
devices.

The electric power may cause a rise of the junction temperature, and the rise of the junction temperature
may raise the failure rate. So, the electric current should be lowered as far as possible.

The voltage has the same effect as the electric power, as described above. In addition, the voltage may affect
the operation of the characteristic compensation circuit. For this reason, if the voltage is low
compared with the recommended operation voltage, failures may occur during operation. It is also necessary
to carefully handle the surge current that flows when the switch is turned on or off and the surge voltage of
inductive (L) load so that they do not exceed the maximum rated values.

shipped my keypad back. they confimed it was out of a demo system and should not have been used as stock. Recevied ne KP and all is well.​
 ​
Thanks for the help guys!​

What about the Omni Panel Charlie?

Did you return it?

Here have only had one HAI Keypad LED lights go out on it (well a couple of LED lights).  It was within a few months of purchased where as I did get a replacement from vendor (Worthington) right away.

Hi Pete.

I didn't return the Omni as it seemed fine. All is working now. Only the notifier board seems flaky - but I suppose that's a whole other issue.

CB

Well then good news Charlie about the Omni panel.  Been playing a bit with the microrouter doohicky thing here to have it chat a bit with the OmniPro 2 (well and do email stuff).  I have it chatting via the network and serial port.  Email is email is email on it.  It is very basic.

Trying a very tight build and it just uses OpenWRT / LuCi / LUA (which is really just another form of C).

Newest contraption is the size of your index finger with two NIC ports and one skinny 6 wire cable going to one HAI serial port for communications and power.   So it'll run off the battery on the panel.  It will sync time to its RTC (with battery) and set the time on the RTC via NTP.  The clock has a socket for one 1-wire temperature so you can also do a temperature reading from the inside of the HAI can.

It is nothing fancy and very simple with very simple stuff.   I am better at soldering little gizmos than write in C.

With OpenWRT you start with a naked do nothing build and just add the pieces you need.  I have added mySQL and PHP and still at less than 50% of the workspace. 

Old box is 2"X2"X1".  You can velcro it next to the serial port and NIC port.  Looking to just make a simple webgui for it relating to configuration.  It does also act as a built in firewall and updates the NIC port in a way on the Omni box.  The board also has built in wireless but not sure if it will work inside of the Omni Can.   I am miniaturizing the whole thing.  It is such a tight fit that I cannot compile on the device and having to cross compile. 

I posted my stuff for commenting and nobody responded to my posts.

Has it been stable for you? I see a GLiNet micro router sells for around $25 - much better than the cost of a notifier. I'm going to have a read of your blog :)

CB

The GLiNet micro router is actually made for tinkering. 

The folks there copied the TP-Link microrouter design, added more OS ROM, more memory to play.

The above noted right now looking at a custom design board with the same features set as the GLiNet router only much smaller with the stuff I added to the GLiNet microrouter integrated to the board.  Similiar chip set only faster using a new firewall chip with a bit more to it.

Current GLiNet microrouter is using the Atheros AR9331 with 16Mb of Flash and 64Mb of RAM.

The GLiNet folks have upgraded the original device mentioned in my posts now to the GL-AR150.  (same 2" X 2" board with more stuff on it).

This is the old design.

glinet_6416a_pinout.jpg

This is the new design.
gl_ar150_marks.jpg

New one is using a newer Atheros chipset with more flash and more ram redoing the whole endeavour now.  It is 1/2 the size of the above two boards.  The Atheros chip is new and has not been released yet for public consumption.

The whole endeavour thought right now is placement of the chips on the customized board doing the CAD thing.  IE: the RTC placement was a major issue as the use of RTC is not common making the board design very unique.  This is where the new board will have more features than the GLiNet board and be smaller.  IE: as wide as the NIC and about 2" long and less than 1" tall.  Well that and have a features set that is levels above the Leviton email board only much smaller and way more functional.  Originally it was just going to plug in to the RJ-45 port on the OPII with a male connector as part of the main board; sort of a NIC dongle thing.  Personally the smaller the better for me as one panel I have is leaking out now to two sub panels and it very cluttered these days.  I am doing the "me first" thing with this design.

Back