Programming OmniPro2 with 2 wireless receivers

wdeertz

I am using an OmniPro2 with two wireless 45A00-1 receivers.  #1 wireless receiver is programmed as A1/n1 (using zones 49-112) and #2 wireless receiver is A5/n1 (using zones 113-128).  I have PC Access configured for 5 expansion enclosures eventhough I am using less than 16 zones on each individual receiver.  While in the PC Access status page I get "Bad"  readings for enclosures #2-#4 (see attached file) which I suspect is because I am not using any zones within these ranges.

I've looked at the 45A00-1 documentation and am not sure if its possible to have #1 wireless receiver only use zones 49-64 and #2 wireless receiver only use zones 65-80 and configure as only 2 expansion enclosures.  I don't anticipate ever having more than 16 wireless devices on either receiver so reconfiguring in the future for zones 49-112 shouldn't be an issue.

I don't seem to be having any issues with the OP2 but the "Bad" readings on enclosures #2-#4 doesn't seem right. 

Can anyone shed light on how I can change my setup to eliminate these "Bad" readings?

Attachments

• screen shot.jpg
    screen shot.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 22
Each group of 16 zones is considered a separate expansion enclosure.
So for the first wireless receiver using zones 49-112 would be expansion enclosure addresses 1-4.
The second receiver using zones 113-128 would be Enclosure number 5.
You have to set them up like that in both PC Access and at the receiver themselves.

You can specify the number of wireless channels each receiver uses in the receiver setup.
You want to use as few channels as possible to reduce latencies.
If a receiver is only going to use 16 or fewer zones, it should only be configured for 16 zones.
The Omni steps through each receiver channel when looking for changes.
If you have the receiver setup for 64 channels and are only using 16 or fewer, it still will step through all 64 zones before going back to the beginning to look for changes in the lower numbered zones.
This can cause latencies in change detection and subsequent trigger actions.

When you setup the number of wireless zones, that tells the receiver how many channels (in groups of 16 ) to use.

In your pic it looks like you have the first wireless receiver set to n1 (using only zones 49-64).
Setting it to n4 would use all 64 zones and should avoid the bad signals.
Otherwise see below for two 16 channel receivers, the BAD results can be ignored.

The first receiver should be set to Address A1 and the second to A5.

When using two wireless receivers you must use the address bands A1-A4 and A5-A8 for each respectively.

If you only want to use 16 channels on each, then the first should be A1 and n1 (zones 49-64), and the second should be A5 and n1 (zones 113-128).

Are you using two wireless receivers each with only 16 channels because of signal propagation/reception issues?
Can you not use a single receiver and 32 channels?

Desert_AIP said:
Each group of 16 zones is considered a separate expansion enclosure.
So for the first wireless receiver using zones 49-112 would be expansion enclosure addresses 1-4.
The second receiver using zones 113-128 would be Enclosure number 5.
You have to set them up like that in both PC Access and at the receiver themselves.

You can specify the number of wireless channels each receiver uses in the receiver setup.
You want to use as few channels as possible to reduce latencies.
If a receiver is only going to use 16 or fewer zones, it should only be configured for 16 zones.
The Omni steps through each receiver channel when looking for changes.
If you have the receiver setup for 64 channels and are only using 16 or fewer, it still will step through all 64 zones before going back to the beginning to look for changes in the lower numbered zones.
This can cause latencies in change detection and subsequent trigger actions.

When you setup the number of wireless zones, that tells the receiver how many channels (in groups of 16 ) to use.

In your pic it looks like you have the first wireless receiver set to n1 (using only zones 49-64).
Setting it to n4 would use all 64 zones and should avoid the bad signals.
Otherwise see below for two 16 channel receivers, the BAD results can be ignored.

The first receiver should be set to Address A1 and the second to A5.

When using two wireless receivers you must use the address bands A1-A4 and A5-A8 for each respectively.

If you only want to use 16 channels on each, then the first should be A1 and n1 (zones 49-64), and the second should be A5 and n1 (zones 113-128).

Are you using two wireless receivers each with only 16 channels because of signal propagation/reception issues?
Can you not use a single receiver and 32 channels?

Thanks for the extensive reply.  If I understand your comments I think I have it setup correctly with receiver #1 A1/n1 and receiver #2 A5/n1.  I tried setting PC Access for only 2 expansion enclosures but this only gave me zones 49-64 and 65-80 which would then not see the zones from the second receiver which start at zone 113.  I can't use one receiver with 32 zones as the devices are in different areas of the house which one receiver will not reach.

So I could get rid of the "Bad" readings by making receiver #1 A1/n4 but then this would cause the system to poll all 64 zones and possibly introduce unneeded latencies, do I understand this correctly?  If so I guess its best to just ignore the "Bad" readings.

That is correct.

The "Bad" readings are because the receiver is not sending signals for those zones.

According to the docs, you are forced to separate the wireless receivers by those address bands.

Re-reading them, you might try this.
Not sure if it will work.

Set the first wireless receiver to address A1, n1 - should be zones 49-64
Set the second wireless receiver to address A2, n1 - I speculate the zones will be 65-80

I don't know if the firmware will allow it or not.  Or if it will have unpredictable effects.
You are essentially telling the second receiver there is a hardwired expansion enclosure occupying zones 49-64. 
But there may me unintended RF channel conflicts with both set to the lower group of addresses.

Desert_AIP said:
That is correct.

The "Bad" readings are because the receiver is not sending signals for those zones.

According to the docs, you are forced to separate the wireless receivers by those address bands.

Re-reading them, you might try this.
Not sure if it will work.

Set the first wireless receiver to address A1, n1 - should be zones 49-64
Set the second wireless receiver to address A2, n1 - I speculate the zones will be 65-80

I don't know if the firmware will allow it or not.  Or if it will have unpredictable effects.
You are essentially telling the second receiver there is a hardwired expansion enclosure occupying zones 49-64. 
But there may me unintended RF channel conflicts with both set to the lower group of addresses.

Thanks for the feedback, I took your suggestion and set the 2nd receiver as A2/n1 and used zones 65-80 with 2 expansion enclosures and it seems to be working.  The 45A00-1 documention stated the 2nd receiver must be A5-A8 but so far there doesn't appear to be any negative effects of only using 16 zones on each receiver.  Thanks again for the help.

Back