Programming Simply Automated Switches under HLC

doolman

I have a couple of questions I hope I can get some help on.

In another thread there was a discussion on configuring Simply Automated devices to run under HLC. Does anyone have a matrix for programming an SA US2-40 for HLC. As I understand it, unlike HAI devices, the 2-40 switches send a link to themselves to turn on and off. Many of the rooms in my install are all CFL, so the devices need to be configured in a non-dimming configuration.

Also, as I understand HLC, you configure 8 device rooms with the first device reserved for a room controller. So assume I am configuring a kids bedroom with 3 non-dimming CFL loads and no controller. Let's take room 9. As I understand it, I will leave Unit 65 (for the unused controller) empty, and configure Units 66, 67 and 68 with the SA US2-40s to mimic HLC per the matrix requested above. Is this correct?

Assuming I leave links 49 and 50 allocated to the ALL ON and ALL OFF function on multi-button faceplate on the US2-40, does that mean I can use Links 51-54 for other purposes, e.g., to control different loads using the multi-button faceplate, or will this impact HLC is some way I do not anticipate?

Finally, I have a room with all HAI switches programmed with HLC and a 6-Button controller. Let's assume these are all in Room 1, Units 001-008. If these devices are all Relay switches, it seems that other than Links 001 and 002 (all on and all off), the remaining Links 003-006 are unused. Is there any reason these links cannot be used for other purposes by programming them in UpStart, e.g., to control other devices. Please let me know. I understand how HLC uses links to create room scenes, but very few of my rooms will have scene controllers and I don't want to mess with the unused links if it will have negative consequences in HLC or for the OPII.

If you have done this sort of setup before I would appreciate your input.

Thanks.

David

I have a couple of questions I hope I can get some help on.

In another thread there was a discussion on configuring Simply Automated devices to run under HLC. Does anyone have a matrix for programming an SA US2-40 for HLC. As I understand it, unlike HAI devices, the 2-40 switches send a link to themselves to turn on and off. Many of the rooms in my install are all CFL, so the devices need to be configured in a non-dimming configuration.

Also, as I understand HLC, you configure 8 device rooms with the first device reserved for a room controller. So assume I am configuring a kids bedroom with 3 non-dimming CFL loads and no controller. Let's take room 9. As I understand it, I will leave Unit 65 (for the unused controller) empty, and configure Units 66, 67 and 68 with the SA US2-40s to mimic HLC per the matrix requested above. Is this correct?
This sounds correct. You still want to name the room though in unit 65.

Assuming I leave links 49 and 50 allocated to the ALL ON and ALL OFF function on multi-button faceplate on the US2-40, does that mean I can use Links 51-54 for other purposes, e.g., to control different loads using the multi-button faceplate, or will this impact HLC is some way I do not anticipate?
You don't want to re-use those link numbers for other devices other than what is in that specific room. The reason is that when the HAI sees those links at the PIM, it will send out status queries to the devices in that room (the room it thinks the links should be for).

Even though you are using non-dimming loads, you could still use the room A/B/C/D links. Your levels would always need to be 100% or 0% since the loads can't dim to the pre-configured 80/60/40/20. Using your example room above with 3 loads, you could make scene A a turn on unit 66 and off units 67 & 68. Scene B could turn on 67 and off 66,68 and scene C could turn on 68 and off 66,67. You can use those 4 room links for any levels or scenes you want.

Finally, I have a room with all HAI switches programmed with HLC and a 6-Button controller. Let's assume these are all in Room 1, Units 001-008. If these devices are all Relay switches, it seems that other than Links 001 and 002 (all on and all off), the remaining Links 003-006 are unused. Is there any reason these links cannot be used for other purposes by programming them in UpStart, e.g., to control other devices. Please let me know. I understand how HLC uses links to create room scenes, but very few of my rooms will have scene controllers and I don't want to mess with the unused links if it will have negative consequences in HLC or for the OPII.

If you have done this sort of setup before I would appreciate your input.
See link usage above.

Jon:

Thanks for the information.

You seem to be the guru of these HLC issues. Do you by any chance have a matrix for programming an SA US2-40 for HLC? I am just a bit confused about how to handle the need of the 2-40 switch to send links to turn itself on and off and how this interacts with HLC.

Jon:

Thanks for the information.

You seem to be the guru of these HLC issues. Do you by any chance have a matrix for programming an SA US2-40 for HLC? I am just a bit confused about how to handle the need of the 2-40 switch to send links to turn itself on and off and how this interacts with HLC.
I wouldn't classify myself as a guru, but I guess I just got tired of seeing all the posts that talked about doing things with HLC OR UPB. After studying the docs at HAI, it became apparent to me that HLC was nothing more than a method of implementing UPB and not distinctly different. At least for me, I think you get the best of simplicity with HLC and powerful programming with Upstart. If you're a power user, you can work within the HLC framework and extend it using Upstart. It really is one of the main features that converted me from my old HA system to the OmniPro II.

Regarding the US2-40, you almost need to think of it as two different devices when you are programming it. On the "Receive Components" page, think of it as a stand-alone light switch and how you would like it to react if sent a link. Put in the 6 sequential links that belong to the room the switch is in and set the levels to 100/0/A/B/C/D, substituting whatever levels you want for A/B/C/D. Now that tells the switch what to do when it receives one of the designated links for that room. Now move on to the "Transmit Components" page. Think of this in terms of being a stand alone keypad. Depending which keypad you have installed, you'll need to add anywhere from 1 to 6 of the rooms links to the different buttons. Now, based on the links you are transmitting, you should have something on the receive page that will trigger the switch on and off. Does that make sense?

HTH,
Jon

Jon:

Thanks for the information. See if you think this matrix works. It assumes I have three US2-40 switches as Units 002-004 in Room 1. In this configuration, Links 001 and 002 will control ALL ON and ALL OFF. Links 003-005 will enable each of the 3 switches to turn on and off normally without affecting any other switches.

Let me know if you see any issues. Thanks.

David

[codebox]Receive Components

Unit 002 Unit 003 Unit 004
Link 001 100% 100% 100%
Link 002 0% 0% 0%
Link 003 100% ------ ------
Link 004 ------- 100% ------
Link 005 ------ ------ 100%
Link 006 (Unused) (Unused) (Unused)

Transmit Components

Unit 002 Unit 003 Unit 004
Top Rocker Link Activator – Link 003 Link Activator – Link 004 Link Activator – Link 005
Bottom Rocker Link Deactivator – Link 003 Link Deactivator – Link 004 Link Deactivator – Link 005[/codebox]

Looks fine to me.

I need to find some more of those US2-40 switches. They'd be perfect for my kids rooms.

Back