pwm remote

Efried said:
Ok, may be that will give you an idea what I would need:

I'm not interested in following a bunch of nonspecific links to someone elses stuff.
If you want some relevant discussion about YOUR SPECIFIC ISSUE, post it.
Otherwise, please just STFU about it.

rossw said:
I'm not interested in following a bunch of nonspecific links to someone elses stuff.
If you want some relevant discussion about YOUR SPECIFIC ISSUE, post it.
Otherwise, please just STFU about it.

my specific problem was described in my initial posting- need cheap PWM over the air for a 12 V fan RPM control. Would use the WC32 as master at a 10m distance.
For being helpful to the community I'm trying to discuss generic reference architectures for home automation, also including remote sensing,  addressing the BLE (broadcasting) vs.ZigBee (XBee) problem.
But I see that neither you nor CAI is positive about that.not understanding
that If you step into SPI/I2C you might end with microcontroller programming leaving the WC behind.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/CC2540-bluetooth-4-0-BLE-development-module-set-developing-module-board-kit-CC2540MINI-DK/879091787.html
So I stand for a solution allowing access to BLE advertising via WC without SPI/I2C coding!

The Cypress chip you posted is not a cheap solution for sure. Do you plan to design your own CPU board? If so, you don't have to post in this sub-forum.  This sub-forum is for discussion of WebControl usage.

From you logic, I don't see you really look for a low cost solution, since you insisted us to make WC32 a dedicate Bluetooth controller.  Although that cost much less than your Cypress chip suggestion, that cost is still more than WC8 board with a wifi TP-link TL-WR702N as wifi client, that is only $14.99 at newegg web site.  Then WC8 controller with TL-WR702N can remotely talk to WC32 over regular wifi network.  You can have PWM module or any sensor on I2C and SPI bus, reliably working remotely.  If you really worked on wireless communication, you would understand how difficult to have reliable communication.  TP-Link wifi client with Wireless-AC1900 based wifi AP RT-AC68U can achieve really reliable wireless communication, much better than those untested suggestion you talked.

WebControl is designed for wide range usage, that is why we support I2C and SPI bus. Talking to I2C and SPI chips in PLC is easy to do. If you want us to develop a dedicate firmware, you have to commit purchase at least 200 boards. We think that is less useful than what we have now. Those Bluetooth module is less reliable than we proposed solution above. But if you paid 200 boards, we would work on the firmware for you, just we will not guarantee your communication result, only guarantee work when two boards with your Bluetooth module facing each other in close distance, due to the Bluetooth module you selected.

CAI_Support said:
The Cypress chip you posted is not a cheap solution for sure. Do you plan to design your own CPU board? If so, you don't have to post in this sub-forum.  This sub-forum is for discussion of WebControl usage.

From you logic, I don't see you really look for a low cost solution, since you insisted us to make WC32 a dedicate Bluetooth controller.  Although that cost much less than your Cypress chip suggestion, that cost is still more than WC8 board with a wifi TP-link TL-WR702N as wifi client, that is only $14.99 at newegg web site.  Then WC8 controller with TL-WR702N can remotely talk to WC32 over regular wifi network.  You can have PWM module or any sensor on I2C and SPI bus, reliably working remotely.  If you really worked on wireless communication, you would understand how difficult to have reliable communication.  TP-Link wifi client with Wireless-AC1900 based wifi AP RT-AC68U can achieve really reliable wireless communication, much better than those untested suggestion you talked.

WebControl is designed for wide range usage, that is why we support I2C and SPI bus. Talking to I2C and SPI chips in PLC is easy to do. If you want us to develop a dedicate firmware, you have to commit purchase at least 200 boards. We think that is less useful than what we have now. Those Bluetooth module is less reliable than we proposed solution above. But if you paid 200 boards, we would work on the firmware for you, just we will not guarantee your communication result, only guarantee work when two boards with your Bluetooth module facing each other in close distance, due to the Bluetooth module you selected.

I'm still pre production, so no demand for 200 pcs. may be never if I don't get Pwm control into my device cheaply. I have drilled holes into my wall to get rid of the wlan  access point you are proposing.  this is a non reliable not elegant solution, requiring another power  supply.

Before Wireless AC/1900, when multiple computer access the wifi router or AP, it may see connection dropping from previously connected devices or computer. We tested with ASUS wireless AC/1900 router mentioned above, it fixed that problem and having 400 ft range reliably.

If you want to design anything, you need to test and make sure that can work reliably.  Bluetooth is working on the same 2.4GHz frequency, so it has similar problem like wifi.  Untested wifi or Bluetooth most likely will not reliable.  We do not want to invest things on uncertainty, unless that is future and have potential demand.  From our experience, that Bluetooth suggestion is expensive and unreliable.  Redesign a CPU board will cost over $20K. If the board has RF like Bluetooth, then it will need another $50K FCC testing cost. 

CAI_Support said:
Before Wireless AC/1900, when multiple computer access the wifi router or AP, it may see connection dropping from previously connected devices or computer. We tested with ASUS wireless AC/1900 router mentioned above, it fixed that problem and having 400 ft range reliably.

If you want to design anything, you need to test and make sure that can work reliably.  Bluetooth is working on the same 2.4GHz frequency, so it has similar problem like wifi.  Untested wifi or Bluetooth most likely will not reliable.  We do not want to invest things on uncertainty, unless that is future and have potential demand.  From our experience, that Bluetooth suggestion is expensive and unreliable.  Redesign a CPU board will cost over $20K. If the board has RF like Bluetooth, then it will need another $50K FCC testing cost. 

yes  I understand. the question is whether the existing WC may cover part of the future home automation market. I see the WC8 as decentral controller, and the WC 32 as master controller. but to be successful, it needs some steps to support the requirements in this domain. that's all I was targeting.
I wish that you try out new ideas using crowdfunding, here you can see how much money you can get:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sparkdevices/spark-core-wi-fi-for-everything-arduino-compatible
Also, the risk of this start-up was lowered because they could use a highly integrated solution, may be saving own development cost:
http://www.usish.com/english/products_wiced.php

Those kits are looking good, but in reality, it will have its own fair share of problems. Think in this way, if Cisco, a largest network company in the world, can not build a wifi router working in 100% situation, how can this like kit working reliably all the time?  Don't take our word for it, go check on Amazon for Cisco or any brand wifi router reviews.

We believe the best solution is what we posted in #18, that is the most reliable solution.  You pick the most successful products and put them together for a reliable solution.

If you decided to build a product based on WebControl and wifi module and have funding, we can help you to develop such a product as your product at your cost.  It will be all your responsibility for cost and future marketing and sales.

CAI_Support said:
Those kits are looking good, but in reality, it will have its own fair share of problems. Think in this way, if Cisco, a largest network company in the world, can not build a wifi router working in 100% situation, how can this like kit working reliably all the time?  Don't take our word for it, go check on Amazon for Cisco or any brand wifi router reviews.

We believe the best solution is what we posted in #18, that is the most reliable solution.  You pick the most successful products and put them together for a reliable solution.

If you decided to build a product based on WebControl and wifi module and have funding, we can help you to develop such a product as your product at your cost.  It will be all your responsibility for cost and future marketing and sales.

sorry this is another discussion. My point would be to focus on trends like upcoming Cortex M4 boards featuring WiFi and see how to cope with them. I agree that big players will be the first mating SOC for CPU and wireless communication offering also ample stability. In the meantime you could halve the footprint of the board and sell special crimp sets with smaller ethernet cables so we may increase the WAF for the wired installation, if wireless is not possible. And if you improve automation for connecting and controlling several WCs furthermore, nobody will blame you. I wish you all the best.

Hi Efried, I'm not sure what you want to do . Do you want to remotly control your wc32 PWM outputs? 

For my little girl, I made a wifi AWD tank that I remotly control over a wc8 with some push button and analog joystick. I can control PWM via wifi for realy low cost using ubiquiti product. Never had problem, no lag, no bugs. 

BTW I love my wifi tank:) I attached ip camera to it, some sensors, write a simple plc code and i can control this machine over the internet or over the lan up to KMs!!!

Hope it helps.

Back