Quatech 100D and vb.net and 54 bit

mdonovan

Has anyone here been able to use the IO.Ports.SerialPort class from VS2008 on a 64 bit Windows 7 system using ports on the Quatech unit? I have a class I wrote that talks to my Elk. I was using 32 bit Vista and the class worked great. I had a system crash, so I rebuilt it using 64 bit Windows 7, and now my class no longer works. It crashes with seemingly random errors, a stack overflow in mscorlib, uninitialized object in mscorlib, sometimes it starts, then just ends and never does anything. Setting breakpoints in the code shows when it does the "just shut down" thing it never even gets to the first code, it just goes away. Compiling it as an x86 application gives me different errors, but it still doesn't work.Using the old version of ElkRP works just fine. It talks to the Elk and everything works, but my app will not since moving to 64 bit. I got the latest drivers from Quatech and they said they support 64 bit Win 7. I don't have a real serial port on the machine to try unfortunately. I posted on a .net group about this and one guy there said he uses IO.Ports.SerialPort on a Win7 64 bit box without any problems.

I have sometimes been able to step through the code, and it opens the port seemingly ok, but then as soon as I try to communicate with it BOOM. It has even blue-screened Win 7 twice. Other times it just fails without hitting my breakpoints.

I have other classes I wrote that do not use the serial port and those work fine in 64 bits.

And I was making fun of Elk because their .Net app wouldn't run on 64 bit machines. ;) Guess this is the revenge of the Elk.

Matt

Back