QUATECH ThinkQ QSE-100D-BA 4 Port RS-232 Serial Server (CHEAP!)

You would need 2 VPN routers which support IPSEC VPN tunnels. If this isn't something you are familiar with, it might be a little overwhelming, but I'm sure we can guide you through it.

Has anyone found a cheap source for power supplies for these? I want to buy a bunch more, but am running out of 5V supplies.
I ordered these last night from All Electronics, along with some other stuff. I couldn't find a spec fox the coax plug size, so I am gambling here.

DCTX-5200 5 VDC, 2000 MA WALL TRANSFORMER $3.75
PS-523 5 VDC 2 AMP SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY $5.75
CB-190 6' CABLE W/ 2.1MM COAX PLUGS $2.50

Did you get your power supplies yet? What kind of plug does the QSE-100D use? I have one or two 5V PS laying around, but I'm not sure if they have the right plug on them.

Matt

You mean other than just plug it in and try it? I hope that's a valid method, because that's what I did....

I ordered these last night from All Electronics, along with some other stuff. I couldn't find a spec fox the coax plug size, so I am gambling here.
DCTX-5200 5 VDC, 2000 MA WALL TRANSFORMER $3.75 no fit needed - bare wire - can splice to CB-190
PS-523 5 VDC 2 AMP SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY $5.75 does NOT fit, way too small - 1.3mm coax power plug - can change the plug
CB-190 6' CABLE W/ 2.1MM COAX PLUGS $2.50 FITS GOOD, matches Tony's measurement
Updated with my test fitting, not powered up yet . Looks like I will be using either of the transformers spliced to half of the cable I bought for each Quatech.

That starts getting pricey. 2 VPN routers would be about $200 wouldn't it? Thanks for the offer of help.

You would need 2 VPN routers which support IPSEC VPN tunnels. If this isn't something you are familiar with, it might be a little overwhelming, but I'm sure we can guide you through it.

Hmmm... no drivers for Vista. And it looks like HW_VSP only allows one virtual serial port. I wish I would have noticed that before I bought them. I felt like I had to get mine before you all bought them all! :)

Is anyone using this with Vista? My HA server will be running XP, so that will be ok, but I wanted to test using my main PC, which is running Vista. Are there any other freebie or inexpensive virtual serial port drivers that support multiple virtual ports on Vista that will work with this?

Matt

I got mine and powered it up with the 5V powersupply that came with my Vonnage VOIP box...was the only 5V supply in the house. Still need to find a permanent one on e-bay.

artart: I haven't looked around yet, but do you really want to expose your network and/or serial devices to the internet? If this is for a 2nd house or so, it's definitely worth it.

mdonovan: If you download version 2 of HW_VSP, you can run multiple copies, I do this in order to create 4 virtual serial ports in a virtual machine, works fine.

Just an update for those Vista Users. I was able to install the QSE-100D XP Drivers (version 1.42) on my 32 bit Vista Ultimate Laptop without any problems. Just be sure to elevate your credentials and install it as an Administrator. I was able to find my units and change the network address to something on my network and then install the drivers just fine. During the installation process, two warnings popped up about the drivers not being signed, but I just acknowledged and kept going. Here is a picture of the final results. I think it speaks for itself.

QualtechonVista.jpg

I'll try to connect something to the box and leave it overnight to make sure I an keep the connection alive.

I online chatted with them and had them email me the vista 32 bit drivers. They plan on releasing 64 bit drivers by October. If you need the vista drivers, PM me your email and I'll forward it to you. I haven't tried to install yet.

Hmmm... no drivers for Vista. And it looks like HW_VSP only allows one virtual serial port. I wish I would have noticed that before I bought them. I felt like I had to get mine before you all bought them all! :)

Is anyone using this with Vista? My HA server will be running XP, so that will be ok, but I wanted to test using my main PC, which is running Vista. Are there any other freebie or inexpensive virtual serial port drivers that support multiple virtual ports on Vista that will work with this?

Matt

Please post the drivers in the downloads area, you can put them anywhere, I'll create a new section if I have to.

That starts getting pricey. 2 VPN routers would be about $200 wouldn't it? Thanks for the offer of help.

then get some linksys routers and flash alternate firmware like tomatovpn http://tomatovpn.keithmoyer.com or openwrt etc.

or just flash an alternate firmware, enable sshd and tunnel your connection through ssh

Back