Recommendations for a wifi thermostat

apostolakisl

This is for my church.  Our sanctuary has 5 independent hvac units which all feed a single gigantic room.  There are 5 thermostats in that gigantic room.  Frankly, I don't think this was a very good way to do it, but it is done already.

Because the 5 thermostats are scattered about, it literally is like a 10 minute process to walk all around and set them.  Thus people get lazy and start putting them on hold which costs $$$.  The schedule is only sort of consistent, there are lots of exceptions, so a strict program doesn't work well.

What I was thinking, was to replace the thermostats with wifi ones (we have wifi in the sanctuary).  Then perhaps there is an application or maybe we could write a script so that the thermostats can all be manually or automatically triggered via a single controller, like a pc or smartphone.  I would like it so that a single command adjusts all 5 thermostats the same.  As if there were only 1 thermostat.

Any thoughts?

Lou

I use ecobee thermostats at home with additional sensors to do averaging. An option might be to replace the other thermostats with sensors?

dominic said:
Lou

I use ecobee thermostats at home with additional sensors to do averaging. An option might be to replace the other thermostats with sensors?

I have to have thermostats because they control 5 different heat pumps, or at least I need something that turns the proper heat/cool/fan/defrost cycles on/off as needed for each heat pump.  It is one big room so the temp doesn't vary that much, except it is warmer on the upper balcony, but that is hard to avoid.

Nest is a great thermostat and allows you to login and set each thermostat from your tablet/phone or computer.
 have been using it for 1+ years and wouldn't go back.

+1 for Nest. I started with automated thermostats back with X10 and then had serial control via my Elk, but the Nest is by far the best thermostat I've ever used, or even seen. One of the best purchases I've ever made. And if air source heat pump, does a great job of reducing use of backup heat elements. I think mine paid for itself last winter alone, and that's on top of having a programmable thermostat before.

Nest is completely inappropriate for this situation.  It's great that you guys love it.  Put it in your sig.

What I am really looking for is a brand that allows me to tie all 5 of them into a single cohesive interface and control them as a group or individually.  I am guessing that any wifi thermostat with an open API could be made to work.  But I am hoping that something already exists so that I don't have to start writing code.

I know that nest is a fine thermostat, but I think it is geared toward residential environment.  All the "learning" that it does I think would be lost in my situation and it doesn't have an open API.  Does the nest website allow you to merge multiple thermostats into a single gui and control them as a group?  If so, maybe it would work.

Filtrete aka Radio Thermostat have an API.  That plus a python script running on a pogoplug or raspberry pi and you're set.  Put locking covers over 4 of the thermostats.  Then for the 5th (master) use the script to monitor its setpoint & mode and then change all the other 4 (slaves) setpoints & mode to match.

Otherwise you could do insteon + ISY.

az1324 said:
Nest is completely inappropriate for this situation. It's great that you guys love it. Put it in your sig.
AZ1324: You know, I'm glad the world is so blessed by your genius. Whatever would the rest of us do without you? But please lose the attitude and treat other posters with reasonable respect. You may disagree, but how about just stating your reasons for disagreeing in a helpful and productive manner? We'll be much more likely to listen to them.

All others: As for whether the Nest is appropriate for this, Lou makes a good point that it's geared for the residential market. But it does offer some of the attributes that could be helpful here, such as remote control with an easy to use app or web interface. I don't think it can be dismissed outright, but whether it's the best approach is up for debate.

I do not believe Nest makes an app that allows for central control of multiple stats. I would, however, have concerns about making the solution overly complex. HVAC in this type of setting is often controlled by people with little technical knowledge, but with a need to turn up/down the temp (e.g., choir practice or a play rehearsal). So locking down the stat and introducing overly restrictive and complex solutions make it much more difficult to manage comfort in a setting that may require involvement by many different people.

Well I respect the OP enough to not give bad advice. But I will elaborate.

Nest
1. It's expensive. Doesn't mix with a church budget especially when you need 5.
2. It draws a lot of attention. People will want to play with it and/or steal it. Yes people will steal things from a church.
3. It doesn't have an API and most of the features that it does provide are not useful in a large public space.
4. It requires a working internet connection for remote control.
5. It is sufficiently complex to confuse/intimidate people, which you mentioned is undesirable.

That is why what I suggested is a good idea. Reduce the access to a single thermostat. Have the other thermostats simply track the settings on that thermostat automatically. Make sure this works without an active internet connection. Have a sticker on the locked thermostats that says "adjust temperature at main thermostat only (located here)". I'm not sure how it could get any easier or more user friendly.

Nicely stated opinions. Thank you.

I maintain that the Nest remains a viable option, but one of many. To clarify, it continues to function w/o an internet connection much like a regular programmable thermostat (the original request dealt with a "wifi" thermostat), is priced the same or less than many other thermostats that can be controlled remotely, and is not at all complex compared to other "automated" stats (simplicity and elegance of design being a known and recognized attribute of the product). As for attractiveness being a flaw, I've no idea how to address that argument and will just let it float there on its own. The lack of an open API is very valid as something to point out and consider.

So, "bad advice"? No. Just different than yours. The difference is that many of us are willing to respectfully consider multiple options and opinions, because we actually think we might not know everything, and might occasionally learn from each other.

Well of course there are tons of viable options.  But viable does not always equal practical, efficient, or effective.  Reassigning 5 altar boys with CB radios to stand by each thermostat and keep them synchronized is a 'viable' option.

If you read the OP again, it says:
I would like it so that a single command adjusts all 5 thermostats the same. As if there were only 1 thermostat.

That doesn't mean using a single app and still having to set 5 separate thermostats.

Nest cannot be controlled by the app without internet access, AFAIK. 

Lou knew before he posted that Nest exists. 

Thus I still say it is bad advice, unless you can state with specifics how Nest could overcome these shortcomings and actually operate as requested above.  And why it is worth more than twice as much as another solution.

I still respect the right to give bad advice, just not to complain when it is labeled as such. :D

Tell you what... In the interest of not boring everyone with our spat, I'll just stand down and agree to disagree. You have a nice day.

Do you find that setting all thermostats to the same temp gives you the desired results in the room?

Any thoughts?

Personally just the proprietariness of one's code and future support of said methodolgy should something occur to you and/or the church needs to service their setup without you being around.

Here my current logic is that there are wires that go from the thermostat to the HVAC such that I just utlized the same wire path for my serially connected HAI OPII thermostat. 

Curious that there isn't a wireless thermostat out there yet that does intercommunicate with others with the same OS providing or including the features you are requesting without going to the internet?

Back