Removing dead Z-Wave modules?

Deane Johnson

I'm a newcomer to Z-Wave and I recently set up some Z-Wave for testing and probably have things a little messed up.

I programmed a couple of Intermatic lamp modules and a Vizia RF+ dimmer. The first night, one of the Intermatic modules burned out, something I have heard was common with this specific lamp module.

So now, my Z-Wave network looks like this:

3. Intermatic lamp module
4. VRC0P PIM
5. Vizia RF+ dimmer

The burned out Intermatic was on either 1 or 2, and I don't know why the other is blank.

I originally used the Intermatic controller to assign the nodes, but later redid it with a Z-Troller.

Any ideas on how I can and should clean up this mess. I assume it's not doing my system any good having those two blanks, or having the system think there is a module that doesn't exist.

My Vizia RF+ may be missing commands from time to time, and the above might explain it.

Thanks for any thoughts and advice.

Deane

You may want to ask this on the HomeSeer message board if you are using HomeSeer.

Thanks for the guidance. I'll figure out which approach will work for me.

I'm thinking I might just switch to UPB, but I need to think that through carefully. I'm a little disenchanted with Z-Wave.

Deane

The ControlThink Pro software does have feature to attach to network and delete dead nodes. Although, I have seen posts on CT board related to spotty support for non-Leviton devices. Since CT is Leviton company, your sort of on your own for non-Leviton devices.

As a side issue, you may want to stick exclusively with Leviton Vizia+. I have been using a VRP03 lamp module for over seven months, and it has worked 98% of time. There were a few times that Elk M1XSP failed to turn on light. As near as I can I can tell, the variety of Vizia+ lighting and load control devices has parity with other HA lighting technology vendors. The only load control device that I see is missing is an inline relay/switch.

I also have a 7-8 dimmers and appliance switches. Only one died and I believe that may be caused by some ESD. All the switches in my setup are in high use places, I have not had a problem yet (knock on wood :) )

I use ControlThink Pro to configure and setup network. I have reset and rebuilt my network a couple times in order to get the routing tables correct. After which, I have not touched configuration.

There are few caveats with Z-Wave. First, you need deep wall boxes. Metal boxes do work, but they reduce the reception range. 90% of the switch boxes in my house were all shallow, so I had to open up the walls. I replaced with shallow/metal boxes with blue plastic "strong" boxes.

I cannot speak to Z-Wave interoperability, but I sense this is mythical dream unless you are willing to use PC-based system such as ZTroller that is powerful enough to support all the different manufacturer profiles. As an example, Vizia+ slaves support bi-directional status updates. I don't know if other vendors support this feature as well. Trying to mix devices with different capabilities and features is probably not an easy task.

The weak link in the Z-Wave mesh network, as you have discovered, is static routing tables. I am not quite sure why Z-Wave designers choose not to use dynamic routing protocols such as RIP and OSPF. Basically, your lighting devices are at the mercy of the weakest link.

The only reason I would entertain switching to different technology is if someone would build a 100% accurate Elk lighting integration that does not require a PC. I know that PCS has been talking about a new product that integrates with Elk. Hopefully, it will support LINK/GROUP status updates, does infrequent polling/scanning, and accurately maintains load status regardless of how switch is manipulated. Currently, the group feature is not working in latest M1XSP Vizia+ Z-Wave firmware revision. This is a M1XSP defect - not Vizia+ fault. I have asked to get a new firmware update, but it's been challenging.

Thanks for you comments in your post. They are very helpful. I'm becoming convinced Z-Wave is not the road for me to head down. UPB, while probably not perfect, seems a notch or two more appropriate for me.

The only reason I would entertain switching to different technology is if someone would build a 100% accurate Elk lighting integration that does not require a PC. I know that PCS has been talking about a new product that integrates with Elk. Hopefully, it will support LINK/GROUP status updates, does infrequent polling/scanning, and accurately maintains load status regardless of how switch is manipulated. Currently, the group feature is not working in latest M1XSP Vizia+ Z-Wave firmware revision. This is a M1XSP defect - not Vizia+ fault. I have asked to get a new firmware update, but it's been challenging.

Is this the item you are waiting for:

Northridge, CA (July 27, 2010) - PCS (Powerline Control Systems, Inc.), the inventor of UPB® technology, and ELK Products, Inc announced a strategic business alliance that will combine PCS' UPB technology and the ELK M1 Control Data Bus protocol into one interface device. This partnership would provide users of the ELKM1 and EZ8 control panels the ability to effortlessly control PulseWorx devices into system installations directly without the need of adding a Serial Port Expander and field wiring. The ELKM1PIM and PIM-E will be fully interoperable with other UPB enabled devices.

Hi,

Everyone has their favorite. If I were you (very small network), I would just reset my Z-wave controller and re-add the devices. Everything should work fine after that. I use Homeseer and Z-Wave with a Z-Troller. I have been happy with my set up for many years. Easy to remove dead devices. If your 'current software' will not allow you to reset the Z-Wave controller, talk to the manufacturer.

Other than that... all Z-Wave controllers (that I am aware of) have a reset function. :)

I've been testing Z-Wave via my OPII controller. Today it's set up for X-10, UPB and Z-Wave. Just recently added Z-Wave. My original intent was to add just external lamp and appliance modules. The wall switches (which today are Insteon) will be changed over to UPB. I started in the Family room with two Intermatic lighting modules. One did a "burn" out within a few weeks of installation. Intermatic was very good about replacing it. My next test was moving 4 X-10 appliance modules over to 4 Z-Wave appliance modules for my landscaping transformers. The Landscaping transformers were on three separate circuits (now for about 6 years). Initally and for a couple of weeks I had no issues. Last week noticed that the modules were tripping the fuse panel breakers when going on. I had to fall back to X-10 appliance modules. I was out of town when this occurred. The rest of the Z-Wave modules continued to work fine without the 3 removed appliance modules. Yesterday did a quick rescan of the network with the Vizia RF controller and uploaded changes to controller. Reconfigured OPII with PCA for the modified network. It wasn't too difficult but would have been very time consuming had I had 30-40 nodes. (still not really much of an issue). The concern for me though was why the Z-Wave appliance modules were tripping the fuse panel breakers (15 AMP) with Landscaping Transformers (commercial - 1000W and two 600W Toroidal transformers).

Back