Running RP on Ubuntu machine with Wine

I added RP to list of programs in config.

I am tried both. just double clicking on the RP icon on desktop and the virtual desktop. When double clicking, it starts thinking as if it is going to open, and nothing happens.

With virtual desktop, a desktop opens up with rp icon at upper left, then it goes away. Seems like it is failing to open.

I added RP to list of programs in config.

I am tried both. just double clicking on the RP icon on desktop and the virtual desktop. When double clicking, it starts thinking as if it is going to open, and nothing happens.

With virtual desktop, a desktop opens up with rp icon at upper left, then it goes away. Seems like it is failing to open.

I've seen the triple posts above as I have typed and tried to save concurrent to another forum user doing the same.  I just delete the extra posts.

Meanwhile here last night (this morning) adding a bunch of tweaks (well nothing to do with Wine)  to this build...I am still not at the Wine installation point here (family room laptop)...such that I am just watching your stuff at this point in time....well concurrently doing some automation software stuff wanting to add a zigbee interface now to my RPi2....little miniature marvel...

I have a Wintel program here someplace and will post it.  It is sort of a DLL sniffer of sorts.  When you run it concurrently with a Windows application it posts all of the resources the program is using.  I used to use it to test Wintel stuff. 

Looking for it...

Well tweaked the laptop off my home network...off to do what my Queen has asked of me this rainy morning.  Typing this on my tablet as I am just a chauffeur this morning sitting in a big box grocery store parking lot.  One of 5 stops.

I received a confirmation from Amazon on delivery of some extra memory.  That said tried shutting off the firewall, tweaking  / validating Samba on the laptop I am typing on and still not able to browse my internal network.  This week will be rebuilding this specfic laptop with more memory and upping my new automation server to 16Gb of memory.

So last night, after spending hours installing wine, my gateway would not restart. Message "no operating System found". I always had problems with the bios recognizing the hard drive; for some reason, it would not. But it restarted a few times okay going into Ubuntu. At this point I'm ready to pull the plug on this machine. I might look at getting a cheap used laptop off of craigslist.

The gateway MX6426 came with an 80 gig HD. I ordered the same from Amazon but they sent me 100 gig instead. I installed figuring it would be close enough and since I was pressed for time. I could not find any literature on the maximum capacity allowed by the bios. Nor can I find any bios upgrades. I will see if I can return the hard drive to Amazon and cut my losses. Unless you can think of anything?

Unless you can think of anything?

A small used netbook with a fast Atom / much memory might serve your purposes more than a clunky old laptop with legacy technology.

Personally the only time I was into Gateway computers was when I purchased a few touchscreens from the Olympics back a few years ago and got a deal on a few desktops purchased in bulk (new).  That said I was never much impressed with the Gateway computers/laptops I saw.

Never did purchase a gateway laptop.

Base specs...googling

2.2GHz AMD Turion 64
base memory fixed (?) is 1 Gb of RAM plus 1 Gb of additional RAM

Might as well just put Ubuntu 32bit on the machine and do everything in 32bit mode.

Wondering too if it is using a SATA port or an IDE port for the drive.  You can build an SSD notebook drive with an IDE port on it.

Here somewhere have an old IBM (last generation) which I did like more than the first generation Lenova laptops; but that is me.

I am not sure what your day job is; but I found that the older small netbooks with Atom based CPU's did a fine job running Ubuntu / Wintel and were tiny.  Almost small enough to fit in a large back pocket. 

Off on a segeway ....

I have been playing here with the new Intel Baytrail Atom CPU's.  These are primarily meant for tablets but they work just fine with the new tiny Windows 8.1.  You could actually install your stuff on a tiny Wintel Baytrail tablet and use a small wireless keyboard with it and maybe use a serial usb cable with it if you are looking for something small and portable for programming the Elk Panel.  I am thinking now that the 4.5" tablet is around with Windows 8.1.  (IE: you can purchase a mini Baytrail PC / tablet with a Wintel license for less than $100 these days).

Here just upping the memory on my favorite HP multicore laptop because originally it ran fine with the base memory on it and its just sitting and not really used in a portable sense; if that makes any sense to you.

the gateway has an IDE drive. But since Bios is not recognizing, and for some reason It won't boot up... I don't think I want to spend too much more time fiddling with it. There must be something in Ubuntu that is causing or some hardware /bios conflict (from my little knowledge of all this stuff).

I was REALLY hoping to avoid windows 8. It is one reason i switched to Mac and Ubuntu. I was looking at used machines on CL and found some for around $100. I will keep looking.

Can you recommend a Wintel Baytrail tablet in particular? Though I think it may be easier to have a slightly larger machine. Can you run any software on these? I have an ipad and these are quite limited as to what you can plug in and software you can run.

the gateway has an IDE drive. But since Bios is not recognizing, and for some reason It won't boot up...

Sounds like a bad drive or it is not seated well in the hard drive compartment.

Currently here only playing with a Pipo X7 Baytrail mini PC with 2Gb of Ram.  It has run a few programs that I have installed on it.  I haven't played with it in a few weeks.  I do have it configured to boot Ubuntu 64bit or Windows 8.1 32 bit (it came with W81 / mini / License).

There are a few Baytrail tablets out there in Internetlandia.  These too have been coming with dual boot W81 / Android and have been modded to run Ubuntu.

I guess you could look for one with multiple USB ports and a Bluetooth keyboard thing.

Google Baytrail W81 tablet.  Found one for $80 with free shipping.

Note you want 2Gb of RAM or more on the device - that is a personal suggestion.

I've given a shot at getting ElkRP running in Wine... and gave up in favor of VirtualBox.

I've used Wine multiple times over the years, to run multiple different Windows softwares and every... single... time... it's been a major headache to get Wine in a state where it ran what I wanted it to run, when it worked at all. This time around I installed .Net 4.5 with winetricks, only to have winetricks stop right in the middle of the installation and tell me to fetch a file manually.  :blink: Then I got prompts telling me that this or that would not work and a bunch of prompts complaining that Mono is not installed. (It is installed.) Then I said "screw this" and moved to VirtualBox. Mind you, I've got a Windows guest in VirtualBox already set up for other things. YMMV.

I've been around the block software-wise. I've written kernel code for different OSes, configured servers, deployed web applications, reverse engineered assembly code with an hex editor and a reference manual, I write software on a daily basis, but working with Wine is always a matter of discovering what bloody incantations are needed to placate it. And then there are those times when you've performed all the incantations and sacrificed all the necessary goats but find that Wine just does not support that bit of the API that your application needs. It's your own damn fault for not having known ahead of time that your app was going to need something Wine does not support. I've done it before multiple times before, with some complete successes and some abject failures, but I've got very little patience for it now.

Yup; adding applications to Wine is a bit of a pain.  I never did get RP running on Wine.  I do not have an Elk to test with; but never got that far with the RP program anyways.

That said though I do have PCAccess going with a few other programs now in the 64 bi version of Wine (('86 mode).  I did also add a Wintel server VP to the latptop. 

Many times I just throw the kitchen sink to it and many times it works.  I just like having one icon to load.  That said though I do auto load software with the VB right now.

Here my current Homeseer automation server is running in Ubuntu 64bit. 

I got the MS SAPI voices to work using Wine.  The squawk box (TTS/VR) automation application didn't work right.

That said though it was a bit of a PITA so I switched over to using MS SAPI on the Wintel server VB running on the same box which talks to the Ubuntu Homeseer running in Mono. (this works for TTS/VR and any wave files)

I can do all of it in pieces in Ubuntu but now with the automation piece of it.

There are some Wintel Homeseer Plugins that I cannot run on the Linux box so running them on the Wintel VB talking IP to the mothership within. (well outside in the box?)

I am not a software person by trade and just enjoy tinkering with the stuff.

I have this exe program I use.  It is just a serial data logger / editor thing.  It works great.  I want to change some verbiage in it,

I was playing around with PE Explorer yesterday and I can see what I want to change (just a few letters) but I cannot change them?  How do I do that?

pete_c said:
I was playing around with PE Explorer yesterday and I can see what I want to change (just a few letters) but I cannot change them?  How do I do that?

I'm not familiar with PE Explorer. My most recent hex editing sessions were done with Emacs.

Thank you zeroparadox.

I downloaded and played a bit with Emacs.  I was able to edit the file using PE Explorer and Emacs and Resource hacker.  It is now where I want it to be.  Took 5 minutes.

Back