Say Message not working properl

chrisdias

I've got a doorbell zone that has automation associated with it to say a message when it is tripped.  It is normally closed, with a status of SECURE.  My automation code from PC Access is simple:

WHEN doorbell NOT READY
   THEN SAY Visitor At Front Door

The message is never said. It used to work, but stopped somewhere in the last year or so.  Every now and then I try to fix it :).  

Here's what I've tried:

- I've confirmed that if i physically disconnect one of the wires to the zone, the message is said
- I've confirmed that if i press the doorbell, the NOT READY status is set
      - I can see the status change in PC Access
      - I can log a message when the zone is NOT READY. The message is logged, but the message is not announced
- I can have a different zone event cause a message to be announced. For example, I can have the message said when I trip a motion detector in the pantry, which is set up as an Auxiliary zone as well.
- I've tested the voltage drop when the doorbell is pressed and when the zone is tripped.
- I've moved the zone to different areas on the panel, and to an extension panel

I just don't get it.  The zone is tripped, the automation code in the block is run, other things are done, but the zone message is never said. 

Any ideas?

update...

I wrote some code using the SDK to announce the message when the zone was tripped.  I figured i would bypass the automation completely.

The message still wasn't announced.  I debugged my way through the code and saw that it was running as expected.  I also found though was that if the phone was off the hook (the doorbell causes the phone to ring throughout the house), the message wasn't announced!  If i took long enough to debug where the phone was hung up again, the message was announced.

I guess the message is being sent to the phone line somehow, which is why i don't get it over the whole house audio system??  

I disabled phone control/access in PC Access and my onboard automation now works.  

I have issues with my phone control of the panel. I cannot call the house, the house wont dial out, etc. so it must be related.

maybe this info will help someone along the way!

CDias said:
update...
 if the phone was off the hook (the doorbell causes the phone to ring throughout the house), the message wasn't announced!  If i took long enough to debug where the phone was hung up again, the message was announced.

Sounds like there may be a mute option somewhere which suppresses the audio when the phone is off the hook. Which audio system are you using?

Back