SCE Smart Meter and HAI

http://www.kwikset.com/wirelesslocks/products.aspx, very interesting.

NEXUS99: I dont want to install a TED or similar device.

Why are you against a TED device?

I'm not against a TED device... its just that there is no reason to install a TED when you have a smart meter that can give you the same inforamtion.

And my smart meter was just installed. Now I just have to figure out what I can buy that will display the information inside my home.

I'm not against a TED device... its just that there is no reason to install a TED when you have a smart meter that can give you the same inforamtion.

And my smart meter was just installed. Now I just have to figure out what I can buy that will display the information inside my home.

If you find anything, please let us know. I've looked and haven't found anything yet.

If you find anything, please let us know. I've looked and haven't found anything yet.

Will do.

Here we are 7 months down the road from this original conversation.

Ryan @ HAI - any more input about the now shipping HAI products ability to work with the SCE meters?

I am interested in getting the HAI ZIM (Zigbee Interface Module) for my OPII, but I've seen no info on whose meters it will work with.

I too would be interested in having HAI's Zigbee hardware interface with my Smart Meter from Hydro One in Ontario, Canada.

Bumping an old topic here - a year since the last bump.

HAI has full Zigbee available in the OmniPro's now. Is there anybody who is able to talk with their electric company meters and get data from them?

I'm really beginning to agree with some of the earlier posts in this thread that the whole Smart Meter thing is a scam that only provides benefits to the electric companies. I know mine has been watching my detailed usage for almost two years now and while I can go to their website and lookup historical usage data, I've yet to see any talk about allowing me to see and use that information in real-time for load-shedding decision making.

Bumping again....

Looks like Southern California Edison has opened up their meters to allowing any Zigbee certified product to talk to them.
http://www.sce.com/info/smartconnect/facts/hanfaqs.htm

Can someone from HAI confirm that I can use your product with the SCE meter?

I'm thinking I need to get a 81A00-1WHSHP and attach it to the OPII.  Can this coexist with another ZIM for the HA profile?

What messages can I get from the SE ZIM into the OPII for creating rules?  I see triggers for "Energy cost", is that it?  What about when the utility sends requests to reduce consumption, do these come through as one of the Energy Cost messages?

I'm trying to get a handle on what functionality you can actually do with the OPII when hooked via a ZIM to a Smart Meter.

Where did you read that the 81A00-1WHSHP can connect to the OPII?  As far as I have read, it is a standalone device.  It happens to use some of the same hardware as a HA ZIM, but that doesn't mean it can connect to a OPII like a HA ZIM.  The OPII is barely smart enought to trigger an event when a thermostat crosses a setpoint, what would you expect it to do with electric utility information?  Math has never been it's strong point.

Review this:  http://smartgrid.homeauto.com/SmartGrid/Advanced.asp

HAI has put it in print in several places that the OP & Lumina panels are part of their SmartGrid solutions.  They are vague as to what exactly that means though.

Here's a quote:
HAI's home control systems are Smart Grid Ready, which means that customers using HAI smart grid solutions in their homes may upgrade to a full blown energy management system.

Well this one is a doozie, so please excuse the impending wall of text.  

First a few basics that you already know (but maybe someone just viewing this thread does not).  A Zigbee network consists of one and only one coordinator.  All other devices are enrolled into this coordinator.  For our HA network, this coordinator is the ZIM/Microcontroller.  All devices (thermostats, locks, Load modules) are enrolled into the ZIM.  The Omni can then be connected to the ZIM via the 485 cable to allow access to this Zigbee network.  When you tell the Omni to enroll a device via PC Access, you are actually just telling the ZIM to go into enroll mode and automatically report to the Omni any device it finds.

In the SE network, the vast majority of systems the meter is the coordinator.  Since everything has to be enrolled into the meter, there is no need for the ZIM.

Currently HA and SE devices do not play well together.  As you can imagine SE networks are very concerned about security since your devices are talking to the smart grid.  Because of that there is an extra layer of security on the SE devices, as well as each SE devices has to be preloaded with certificates (think microsoft certificates).  So a SE devices will not talk to an HA device as of right now.   There is a big push trying to merge the HA and SE devices together, which will most probably end up with the HA devices adding more security.  The benefit of the HA level of security is it allows for easy enrollment.  You press a button on the enrolling device, you press a button on the coordinator, and it is enrolled.  With SE, the coordinator must be configured to allow a specific mac address and a specific installation code.  Metering companies are accomplishing this in different ways, but a common method is an online portal where you can pass this information to your meter via your web browser.

Ok now that we got that out of the way, now to answer your question on how to get an HAI device to talk to your meter and the omni.  As you noted before there are specific part numbers for our SE devices found on http://smartgrid.homeauto.com.  These are the only devices that can talk to the meters, or even be on the same network as a meter.  All part numbers that end in "P" have production certificates and are certified to talk to a SE Zigbee meter.   As mentioned before since the meter is the coordinator for a SE network, so there is no ZIM.  We instead make a device called an IHD (In Home Display), which looks very similar to the ZIM.  In order to talk to an omni you need a special IHD that has a 485 connection, this part number is "81A00-2WHSHP" (not yet on the web site).  Although this IHD is not a coordinator, it can still talk to other SE devices on the network (thermostat for example), and will report the information to the Omni.  Since this IHD is not a coordinator, the Enroll, disband functionality on the Omni does not apply.

So basically to get the omni to talk to devices on a SE network, you first need to enroll all your SE products (including the 81A00-2WHSHP) into the smart meter.  From the IHD you can discover all other devices on the network (so the IHD will learn there is a thermostat also there).  You then connect the IHD to the omni and transfer all the device the IHD discovered to the Omni.  At this point you can view status and control all devices on the SE network.

Now for the dreaded caveats:

In order for the SE IHD to talk to other devices on the network, the meter and the other devices must support an optional Zigbee feature.  Most meters do, and all the HAI products do as well.   We cannot guarantee that your meter and thermostat from company "X" will work.

The omni does not yet have the ability to acquire and SE data such as Energy demand or Energy price.  The market that has open meters is very small (but growing!), and the market that has omni + an open meter is even smaller (we are working on increasing that).  So although the omni currently does not have the ability to acquire the SE data, it is indeed on our roadmap.

Ryan

Back