Security/video system recommendations

Based on your OP, and the responses received, here's what I'd recommend and consider.

Do you know what police department is responsible for covering your area? Give them a visit, meet with someone and ask the question... if your house was being broken into and you called to report it, would someone respond? What's the approximate response time?

Do those answers satisfy you?

Sure, the above scenarios were presented where you could be out of service range, on a plane, etc. Yes, those things happen. How often? Consider that a year consists of 525,600 minutes. How much of that time will you be out of coverage? Is that something you are willing to risk? Is anyone else going to receive the self-monitoring messages? Maybe you travel for work, but your significant other could also receive and respond to the message. It's all about risk management and what conditions and scenarios you are willing to risk. There is no 100% solution.

Is there a reason to limit your system to self monitoring? I'll stand up here and say that I've been doing it for the past few years. There are also 5 police officers from various departments that live on my street, and a couple more on the street over. I feel that the likelyhood that someone is going to break into my home is low. However, my wife's car door was opened in the spring and her wallet was taken - 1) her door should have never been unlocked and 2) her wallet should have never been in there. Recently, there was a 19-yr old kid, arrested, because he thought it would be fun to slash the tires of 15 different cars. So, I'm not saying that things don't happen here... they do. But I've been willing to accept the risk and self monitor. Why? I didn't want to pay for monitoring because I figured, like most insurance, you hope you never have to use it, and it's a waste of money. Also, like insurance, when something goes wrong, you wish you had it. Back to the money thing... I've contacted my home owners insurance company and asked about discounts for having the alarm and it being monitored. Basically, I found that it will either be a wash (cost of monitoring vs. insurance savings) or I may even come away with some money. Based on that, we've decided that it would be a benefit for us to have the monitoring when it's actually not going to cost anything extra.

So, what's the risk you are willing to accept? I assure you that we, collectively, won't hesitate to recommend products and solutions to fit your needs.

If you search this site for system recommendations I am willing to bet that you come up with a pretty even amount of votes for Elk and HAI controls. There are loads of posts voicing the pros and cons of each and you can download the installation manuals for each from the manufacturer's web sites to compare their specifications.

I spent a month or more reading before choosing the Elk for my home. Take time and read until you're comfortable that you have a plan to go forward that suits your needs in your home.

Mike.

Thanks, I'll review Elk M1, Omni Pro II, Honeywell/Ademco Vista series, GE/Interlogix NX series and the DSC Power Series systems.  I didn't look at them initially because the way it was posed (or perhaps how I read it) they were automation controllers.  A quick look at the Elk M1 manual looks like it has an extensive featature set (maybe even too much).

As for security company versus self monitored, my opinion may be tainted by my only experience.  We had Pinnacle at the old house.  They sold us on the false claim that they were a splinter off ADT with all the same benefits but cheaper.  In the end, they didn't perform the one time they should have (even though it was just my F-I-L being an idiot).  Add to that that when we sold, we cancelled service but were still charged a full 12 months after we moved.  It took months to get any kind of refund and it was far from 100%.  Basically, they ripped us off and they didn't provide the claimed service.   Oh, and Simon (or wireless modules) didn't perform well either.  Otherwise, the system was great!  :blink:

I'd say that most of us mention that the M1G and OPII are automation controllers because that's the reason many of us choose to purchase them - in addition to all of the security features they already offer. Definitely tons of information here already. Keep us updated on your research, ask questions, and let us know what you ultimately decide. It's all good information to have for other people who also visit the site and are in a similar situation that you are.

Not to sound crass, but you're comparing a POS Simon AIO panel with wireless that was put in by a trunkslammer dealer using lick and stick devices that are of mass-market quality, as was the panel. I can't comment about your monitoring experiences, but a panel slammed in monitored by some guy in their garage is what it sounded like you got.

Anyone that bases their core installations on a AIO panel and wireless is more about how many accounts they can install and sign up for a monitoring contract compared to quality and function. Yes, a Simon or Lynx has their place within the market, however when you are speaking real security and automation/control it's not even on the radar.

How about this question: What is the budget for a complete soup to nuts install to accomplish what you want to do? >$500? $1K, 5K 10K?

I hadn't looked at a budget, but it would certainly be much less than $10k. I opened the panel that contains the installed wiring and everything appears to be labelled, though I can't account for accuracy. I did find that I am even pre wired for at least 3 IR sensors. Is there a good way to locate where these terminate? Same issue with keypads. I believe a mystery "phone" wire I found last year is one of these motion sensor locations but I don't see any others. Also, how would I know if the system was wired for 1, 2, more zones?

I know I could just drop a cheapo AIO brain in that location, but that seem like a really dumb approach. The local security supplier recommended a Honeywell or similar unit with wireless keyfobs, but suggested locating where the wired keypads would terminate as well.

You never mentioned you had a prewired house SMH.

Spend some time with a toner and start locating wiring.

Inventory your wiring and note the number of conductors and AWG, that would be an initial start to determine what you may have in the walls. You need to do some investigation to see what may or may not be wired, which might be just the doors, a motion or two and possibly a keypad or two.

Since it sounds more like a spec tract house, the best bet would be to look at neighbors with similar floor plans that may have systems.

I agree with Ral that no security system can absolutely prevent a break in, but an alarm system can help deter crimes and burglaries. It can help protect your family and valuables, while giving you a peace of mind. Also, When it comes to home automation, I highly recommend IptechSecurity. they have rapid emergency response time and you can get professional installation.

Over on diysecurityforum everyone is high on 2GIG and DSC systems.  You may want to take a look there too.

Back