Selecting a Protocol for lighting: Zwave or UPB?

Every box I have checked in my house built in the early 2000s has a neutral. Although with the larger gang boxes accessing the neutral wire is a pain. Some of mine have 6 or 7 neutrals that are short and capped together in the back of the box.

I prefer wiring in the RadioRA 2 dimmers over the HAI UPB dimmers. The UPB dimmers are wires coming out of them and not screw terminals. This means you have to stuff extra wire and wire caps into the box. With the RadioRA 2 dimmers you just screw down the existing wires and your done. I haven't had a chance to test their new CFL/LED dimmer, but it doesn't require a neutral and is $30 cheaper. This would be a win if they work as stated.

In multiple gang boxes a neutral is the defacto standard for wiring. In a single gang box this isn't the case. Electrical contractors are encouraged to take the power run to the octagon box where more air space and size is available. This means your switch box will NOT have a neutral.

You can use the two wire devices but read  some of the complaints about communication problems. They are a problem on most HA systems I have experienced or maybe you don't intend to ever have CFLs or LEDs with switching PSs. Run the neutral to avoid problems later. Even most of the non-HA MS switches require it now.

LarrylLix said:
You can use the two wire devices but read  some of the complaints about communication problems. They are a problem on most HA systems I have experienced or maybe you don't intend to ever have CFLs or LEDs with switching PSs. Run the neutral to avoid problems later. Even most of the non-HA MS switches require it now.

The Lutron C.L series dimmers are new to market and work with most CFL / LED bulbs. The RRD-6CL does not have a neutral wire. I haven't tested one, but Lutron is known for high quality so I'm assuming it will work. With it being $30 lower than the RRD-6NA it makes sense to use if it works.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/369-225i_ENG.pdf

The Lutron C.L series dimmers are new to market and work with most CFL / LED bulbs. The RRD-6CL does not have a neutral wire. I haven't tested one, but Lutron is known for high quality so I'm assuming it will work. With it being $30 lower than the RRD-6NA it makes sense to use if it works.

http://www.lutron.co...69-225i_ENG.pdf

I believe every HA system makes two wire devices but over the years most wished they had the neutral for more reliable operation, especially with these powerline only systems.

Read the user HA forums. I have a few X10 no-neutral units in a box that I wouldn't even consider putting in anymore but then I am running Insteon now with RF and powerline and much less of these problems with all the powerline noise in this new high-harmonic creating lighting era. 

Back