Sensor for wooden gate?

mtgoat said:
What method are you using to "stuff data into my ISY994"? Are you using the IFTTT channel for anything? 
Very interested in your setup.
The CAO FAQ ( ihttp://store.wirelesstag.net/pages/support ) implies that it may be difficult to replace batteries, and suggests using a chisel instead of a screwdriver, as described below. Does this match your experience, so wondering how viable this has been for an exposed gate application?
<snippage>
I use KumoApps to stuff the analogue data into the ISY994 via it's REST interface with a simple URL call. The format matches the decimal precion format ISY offers. It must be some standard. They use javascrit and have hundred of canned solutions ot operate WeMo lights, input Honeywell and Nest thermostats, operate Hue bulbs etc.. I like to keep all my logic done in ISY though, where I can centralise things and do calculations to massage the data before doing operations based on it.

The IFTTT is reported to be too slow.

The Tags also offer many ways to trigger on value boundaries also. I dont use them now. They don't seem to continuously report changes but rather just report the initial boundary crossing.
They offer about 15-18 different ways of reporting to devices, including email, phone calls?, push notifications, IFTTT, etc.. It also makes the app vocalise the problems stock or custom messages but they annoy me at the wrong times.

The batteries can be changed in about 3 seconds. You ut your fingernal in the drawer slot and rotate turn it out, drop the battery out, replace and slide the rotating hinged drawer back in.

LarrylLix said:
I agree but these work so well for me.
The price is right but they started out about $15 each. Not anymore. 
They do today, but will they when the company goes out of business?  If that's not important then go for it.  I put this into the toy class, something that is fun to play with for a few years then you move on.  My GE sensors have been running for 15 years, and I see no reason why they couldn't run another 25.

ano said:
They do today, but will they when the company goes out of business?  If that's not important then go for it.  I put this into the toy class, something that is fun to play with for a few years then you move on.  My GE sensors have been running for 15 years, and I see no reason why they couldn't run another 25.
Maybe all the Apple computers wil stop too! They are mostly cloud dependent and 50 times the money investment.

Most HA people do not like cloud dependence, but CAO has promised in writing, they will realease the complete API if they decide to fold up.

OTOH: the new owners may want subscriptions fees. This is the same way most users with their heads in the cloud are heading. Maybe list the providers on the same level as drug pushers? :)

Here in the 1980's and a detached garage used a wired sensor attached to the garage alarm panel stuff on a cedar fence gate that was closer to the garage then the house.  Did get local lightning strikes but those never took out the panel or devices plugged in to it.  I was also using optical driveway sensors and those did get triggered by lightning  / thunderstorms at the time.  Next home wired all peripheral berms / mailbox et al stuff with sensors that worked fine for me.  A local lightning strike did take out my two 8 zone irrigation controllers once. (IE: same local lightning strike took out a majority of appliances next door (and alarm panel).

Today most effective means would be what Ano suggested above relating to your Elk panel.

Back