Serial to learned IR codes

johnmhome

I need to inject some IR codes into my AV equipment. The commands need to be initiated by a HAI OmniPro II. There are plenty of simple serial->IR adapters out there, but they seem to have 2 failings for my application:

1. They require software running on a PC (there's no PC in the wiring closet where this needs to live)
2. They can't learn existing codes

I think there should be some kind of microcontroller with learning ability so I can program into it the 10 or so codes I need. I then send a simple 'send code#3' type command on HAI serial and it outputs the IR stuff for that. I've googled quite a bit and not found anything.

I'm open building something myself using Arduino as a last resort. Any ideas?

I need to inject some IR codes into my AV equipment. The commands need to be initiated by a HAI OmniPro II. There are plenty of simple serial->IR adapters out there, but they seem to have 2 failings for my application:

1. They require software running on a PC (there's no PC in the wiring closet where this needs to live)
2. They can't learn existing codes

I think there should be some kind of microcontroller with learning ability so I can program into it the 10 or so codes I need. I then send a simple 'send code#3' type command on HAI serial and it outputs the IR stuff for that. I've googled quite a bit and not found anything.

I'm open building something myself using Arduino as a last resort. Any ideas?

How about this:
Infrared Expander

If you're not opposed to using X10 (and you may very well be :) ) you could try using your HAI to send the appropriate X10 commands to the IRLinc Transmitter, which will learn the codes and associate an X10 address with each. It's primarily an INSTEON gadget, but you can also map X10 addresses to IR codes.

Interesting options. The JDS thing does look like what I need but the price is really high IMHO. I'm hoping there's some other similar box.

The X10 option gives me the heebie jeebies. Bad experiences from the past...you don't want to go there.

I never purchased anything, but I looked at several options:

http://www.irtrans.de/en/shop/lan.php
- Not cheap, not as pricey as JDS through Smarthome. Note that it comes with an internal emitter & receiver, you must buy externals if you need them and the PSU is separate!
- You don't need the PC once programmed - if memory serves, just hit a URL and it transmits. It also has a built in webserver
- Built-in IR database (ie, flash) is optional - I don't remember the limits without it.
- Built-in IR receiver and I believe it will post/transmit anything received to a PC
- USB, RS-232, Lan, Lan+POE and Wireless models
- No US distributor, it comes from Germany. They were always very responsive

http://www.globalcache.com/products/gc-index.html
- Again, not cheap
- You get nickle-dimed to death on individual pieces - especially to learn codes!
- Had limitations (last checked about a year ago)
- IR Learning/receiving is another component and is direct RS-232 connected to PC (ie, not with unit and network attached)
- Pronto CCF only, no support for special codes or those with toggle bits

I had chosen the IRTrans with specific options (IRDB, 2nd IR output) before my spending priorities changed about a year ago. I started down the path to get Worthington to carry them for better pricing but never carried through.

Jay

The Ocelot is the best option IMO. I used one with the ELK M1 for a long time (turn on PiP when garage door opens etc), and it worked great. You can trigger IR strings using simple ASCII strings.

The Irtrans.de thing is a great recommendation. Thanks - it's the closest I've seen to what I want. I'm still kinda tempted to hack something with Arduino at that price, however. I'll see if I can find an ocelot though the delay you mention might be a problem. I need close to instant response with some of the devices.

I have another idea that might work: using a pronto remote and the RFX9600. I'll start another thread and see what comes up

Is Damage the only one that has experienced this delay that he mentioned? I'm kind of having a tough time deciding between the Ocelot, the IRTrans and the Global Cache GC-100. They all seem similar, but so far the main factors determining my decision are that:
-the Ocelot supposedly has a delay to transmit the IR signal, which could become super annoying, super fast while trying to adjust the volume on the TV for instance, but has been recommended here twice already.
-from what I understand, the Global Cache GC-100 has bi-directional serial communication, whereas the others can only send data. It needs to be fed it's IR/serial strings from another device (ie. a PC). I like the idea of the flash memory on the other devices that can hold IR strings to be triggered by ACII strings or signals from the network.

All things considered, it seems like it's a coin toss between the IRTrans and the Ocelot, and then I will need to find a separate device to handle bi-directional serial data.

Anyone else wish to weigh in on this?

I don't remember experiencing any delays in sending IR commands (receiving is another story, since the onboard IR sensor was only meant to be used to record IR signals), but it has been a while.

Is Damage the only one that has experienced this delay that he mentioned? I'm kind of having a tough time deciding between the Ocelot, the IRTrans and the Global Cache GC-100. They all seem similar, but so far the main factors determining my decision are that:
-the Ocelot supposedly has a delay to transmit the IR signal, which could become super annoying, super fast while trying to adjust the volume on the TV for instance, but has been recommended here twice already.
-from what I understand, the Global Cache GC-100 has bi-directional serial communication, whereas the others can only send data. It needs to be fed it's IR/serial strings from another device (ie. a PC). I like the idea of the flash memory on the other devices that can hold IR strings to be triggered by ACII strings or signals from the network.

All things considered, it seems like it's a coin toss between the IRTrans and the Ocelot, and then I will need to find a separate device to handle bi-directional serial data.

Anyone else wish to weigh in on this?

From memory, I don't remember the Ocelot having any significant delays in transmission with its IR database internal, although I am pretty sure the SECU16IR did because the Ocelot had to transmit the IR pattern to it on each request.

The latest IR Trans documentation for LAN has mention of an option to send serial data back via UDP - I can't see them putting a transmit-only serial interface on it, though I haven't actually tried it.

Jay

Back