Silencing System Sensor i4 Detectors

rsw686

I just got around to installing two System Sensor COSMO2W fire / carbon detectors and the COSMOD2W interface module. I have the OmniPro II interior siren output connected to the bell / smoke trigger on the module. The module DIP switch 1 is in the on setting for bell, which states it will follow a coded signal.

Pressing the fire test button on the detector or the fire keys on the OmniPro II console sets off the alarm siren and detector sirens in temporal 3. Pressing * on the console silences the alarm siren, but the detector sirens switch from temporal 3 to a solid tone. I had to disarm the system, which power cycles the detectors to reset them.

I wanted to see if anybody else has used this module and was able to silence the fire alarm, without resetting the detectors. That way I can see which detector had the red alarm indicator set, before I reset them.

I need to do some more testing to see if I can rule out the issue. I was thinking of
1. Disconnecting the interior siren from the bell / smoke trigger on the module. This would let me see how the detectors behave without the trigger from the OmniPro II.
2. Changing DIP switch 1 to off so the module is in smoke trigger mode. Then I would connect an OmniPro II output set to interior fire to the module. It could be the module has an issue syncing with the OmniPro temporal 3 coded bell output.

Based on what I read of how you have the unit wired:

Change your settings on the COSMO to be a positive trigger on FA and not coded. Then drive an output of the panel with +12V to close on a valid FA. The coding will be done in the COSMO vs. by the bell output.

It's not an issue with the unit, it's how you're driving the temp-3.

I tested changing the module to trigger and manually turning on an output. The smoke sounders stop once I turn off the output. The annonying part about the OmniPro II is when setting an output to fire sounder it only drives it temporal 3. It looks like I'll have to add a rule to turn on a general output when there is a fire alarm. However there is no way to write a rule for the * cancel. It looks like I'll have to add my own logic to only power cycle the smokes on the second disarm.

Alright I was able to get it working. Here is how I have it connected
  • Module smoke zone is connected to panel fire zone named Smoke Detectors
  • Panel output (general purpose) Smoke Reset has a relay with C connected to the panel auxillary 12V and NC connected to the module power in +
  • Panel output (general purpose) Smoke Sounders is connected to the module smoke trigger
  • Panel flag Pending Smoke Reset
  • Module DIP Switch 1 in the OFF (Smoke Trigger) position
I added the following automation rules.

1. WHEN FIRE ALARM
THEN Smoke Sounders ON
2. WHEN OFF
AND IF Smoke Sounders ON
THEN Smoke Sounders OFF
THEN Pending Smoke Reset ON
3. WHEN OFF
AND IF Pending Smoke Reset ON
THEN Pending Smoke Reset OFF
THEN Smoke Reset ON FOR 2 SECONDS

Testing done
  • Press fire test on smoke, smoke sounder goes off, the panel Smoke Detectors fire zone is closed, which activates the panel sounder and the Smoke Sounders output
  • Press fire panic on console, panel sounder goes off, the Smoke Sounders output is triggered, which activates smoke sounders
At this point I can do the following
  1. Press * on panel and panel sounder is silenced
  2. Press OFF + code on console, Smoke Sounders output is turned off, which silences the smoke sounders. The console shows Smoke Detectors NOT RDY
  3. Press OFF + code on console, Smoke Reset output is turned on for 2 seconds, which power cycles and resets the smoke detectors. Console returns to SYSTEM OK
A side beneift from using the relay is that the maintenance check should now work properly. The below is from the System Sensor i4 module manual. Since the module doesn't have a clock I'm assuming the 24 hour timer starts over everytime the power is cycled. The OmniPro II cycles the switched 12+ every time it was disarmed, which means the 24 hour timer would never be hit if you are disarming the system twice per day.

The module sends a smoke maintenance inquiry to the detectors every 24 hours. (Compatible 2-wire detectors only) If a response indicating a maintenance problem is received, the red LED on the module will blink once every 5 seconds and a smoke maintenance condition will be indicated to the panel.

Quote from the OmniPro II installation manual that describes the switched power reset behavior. I verified this happens everytime you disarm with a multimeter.

Whenever the OmniPro II security system is disarmed, the controller will cycle power to the SWITCH 12V or a Switched Power Output to reset smoke detectors and other latching devices.

Back