Single over sized white wall plate covers

pete_c

Guru
I am in the process of reducing my wall switch footprints by going to single UPB multple paddle or dual power switches. That said I decided just to keep the dual gang mud plates in instead of carving up the wall to replace them with single gang metal mudplates.

I have found single white dual covers with offset switch openings which really doesn't look that nice.

I do recall seeing single opening larger footprint white wall switch covers and do not remember where.

Does anyone know where I can purchase these?

Thanks Kevin. Looking for plastic instead of metal. I've seen them before once and forgot to save the link.

Hah you guys almost had me there... almost bought one (BTW the HAI is on Amazon for $0.39, one left. vs. $17)

How the heck would you mount a single switch using that? The box screw holes aren't going to line up....

Here is what I am looking for. I am doing a consolidation effort. Initially 8 years ago changed the single gang mud plates to dual gang mud plates. I did this while repainting the room such that I could do some spackling et al. Now I am going back to single gang over double gang set ups and I didn't want to remove the mud plates. That said I am looking for a center on width of 6.5-7" with a regular height plate.

Here is what I am looking for. I am doing a consolidation effort. Initially 8 years ago changed the single gang mud plates to dual gang mud plates. I did this while repainting the room such that I could do some spackling et al. Now I am going back to single gang over double gang set ups and I didn't want to remove the mud plates. That said I am looking for a center on width of 6.5-7" with a regular height plate.

Its looking like I might just have to remove the double gang mudplates and replace them with single gang thinner mudplates and just utilize "jumbo" single white covers. PITA though cuz I have to do some drywall carving to get the mudplate out.

Its looking like I might just have to remove the double gang mudplates and replace them with single gang thinner mudplates and just utilize "jumbo" single white covers. PITA though cuz I have to do some drywall carving to get the mudplate out.

I purchased the ones in the pictures for about $2-3 each. Not looking to spend $5 or more for plastic wall plate switch covers. I have double boxes / dual mudplates now in every room of the house (and some with 3-4 of these).

Trying a bit of drywall carving today using a thin single mudplate cover replacing the double mudplate cover. This with an oversized single cover to see it'll cover up my carving.

Attachments

• Pic-1.jpg
    Pic-1.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 25
I definitely get the dilemma - but I checked Leviton's catalog and did some googling, and I only found what you're looking for in Metal and you specified you wanted plastic. I don't know if the HAI plate would work or not but it looked like it might be a close option.

The HAI plate will work for the wall plate. You're problem is you need some sort of bracket to convert the box from dual gang to single gang. The HAI switch that plate goes with takes up the entire dual gang box.
HLC2400W.gif

I couldn't find anything either. The fact that that metal wall plate KevinL linked to exists seems to point to something else existing, you might email that website and see what they say, or maybe the metal wall plate comes with a bracket, in which case you could use the bracket and swap the plate for the HAI one.

You may be into just replacing the boxes. I have a couple of places where I am in the same boat. Be careful if you do replace the box that you meet the space requirements based on the number of wires in a box according to the NEC.

I was able to removed the double gang metal mudplate with little effort on my test dual gang box. A standard cover leaves about XX inches on each side. The easy fix is to mud over each side, sand and paint it which I really don't want to do today.

See pics. I thought I had some Leviton Jumbo covers but do not. Not sure though if the Jumbo plastic covers are 5" wide; don't think that they are.

Did a quickie search on the Leviton site and all I see is the metal ones. (BTW I could probably fat finger my query on the Leviton site and take the whole DB down in a couple steps).

Attachments

• Comparison-1a.jpg
    Comparison-1a.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 13
Decided to leave it above to irritate me every time we sit down for a meal as the switch in in the kitchen nook.

I don't know about you, but if something only irritates me, it can sit like that for years! But if it irritates the wife, I'll probably be fixing it within the next week or two.

That one pictured is in the kitchen dining nook. One room yet to be repainted et al. That said will probably mud over the sides of the gang box mud plate. Its a pain though cuz I have to utilize the cloth drywall screening and sand such that I do not see it. If I just mud over it; it'll crack over time as its a metal gang box on an outside wall. Maybe though Leviton will come up with a regular plastic white plain cover the same size as their metal cover?

This though installation of the multifunction / single gang mudplate switch is one of many in the house; only thing is that most of the rest of them are on finished walls. Its still much easier with metal mudplates to install just a single switch versus two in a double gang box. The metal mudplate corners are rounded and unless I carve up the switches they do not fit.. I looked at using the bench grinder to square off the inside edges of the metal double gang mudplate and it is not possible.

Missed the $.39 special on the Amazon HAI wall plate covers; so I ordered a few of them instead at regular prices yesterday.

Back