Smart door lock— Your choice?

Yea swancoat... I agree with your assesment, but the other issue I have with the zwave locks is that the lock mechanisms themselves are typically very bad quality (the kwikset one for example)... one advantage of something like the August / an electric deadbolt is that you have more flexibility over the lock mechanism.

I did look at the Danalock, because it's similar to the August in that it allows you to use almost any deadbolt and unlike the August it will integrate with an existing system. I did some research and it seems like it's not very well constructed, and it also isn't able to report lock failure.... which is an important feature of any smart lock (ie: I tried to extend the deadbolt, but couldn't)

lol ano, you beat me to it... I didn't see your response.

I agree I hate that the smartlocks have external interfaces... ideally they would just have a handle to open the door when the deadbolt disengages and nothing else on the exterior... but I'm guessing that would violate some code...

I've been trying to find resources describing how to go about doing what you're talking about... it seems like you need to completely replace your current door to go with the electric deadbolt / strike option.

RFID is inherently a low security technology.  If someone gets their hands on your credentials (key/tag) and have the right hardware they can be in faster than with a traditional key even.  The best method is to combine that with a code so you require both.

The Goji seemed like an interesting lock - looks like they're close to shipping.

If I build a home or do any major remodeling, I'd likely go with commercial hardware and door frames - and integrate it all via my Elk.

Work2Play said:
RFID is inherently a low security technology.  If someone gets their hands on your credentials (key/tag) and have the right hardware they can be in faster than with a traditional key even.  The best method is to combine that with a code so you require both.

The Goji seemed like an interesting lock - looks like they're close to shipping.

If I build a home or do any major remodeling, I'd likely go with commercial hardware and door frames - and integrate it all via my Elk.

Yes, you are right. "RFID is inherently a low security technology." The best method is to combine that with other options such as face recognition and bluetooth APP control. Face recognition is a new thing for me, so I prefer to try it.

hardatk said:
lol ano, you beat me to it... I didn't see your response.

I agree I hate that the smartlocks have external interfaces... ideally they would just have a handle to open the door when the deadbolt disengages and nothing else on the exterior... but I'm guessing that would violate some code...

I've been trying to find resources describing how to go about doing what you're talking about... it seems like you need to completely replace your current door to go with the electric deadbolt / strike option.
I did this in my last house, and it wasn't difficult.  What I did was use an electronic deadbolt, but it mounts in the door frame, so its opposite of where the deadbolt is in the door. The deadbolt is in the frame, and it goes in a hole on the side of the door.  It ran many years and I never had a problem.

You can but fail secure or fail open. I recommend that you use one that unlocks when power is removed and use a battery backup.  It runs a LONG time on a 8 AH battery, at least 15 hours.  Also, I recommend a "Door Unlock" button inside. This would unlock the door no matter the state.  (Very important for emergencies.)

I used and RFID reader with a keypad outside. It worked well, because we used the keypad when we didn't have the RFID, and we could give the neighbor an RFID card to get in when we were away. It would shut of the alarm as well, if it was on. And we used a keyfob for our alarm, so when we came home we pressed the fob, and that would also unlock the back door for say 30 seconds. Everytime you opened the door, it would reset this timer.

drvnbysound said:
My Zwave deadbolt reports status; locked or unlocked. ....ROFL
Well they put a lot of defectives ones on the market. Not all were returned during the recalls.
To test:
With the door open hold the strike in the unlooked possition.
Using the z remote look the door while still holding the strike (not the lock/unlock lever) in the unlocked possition.
The locking mechanism will time out after a few seconds ~15
Release the strike. The lock should still be in the unlocked mode.
Now log into the z wave and check the condition of the lock.
The defective one will show that the lock is in the locked state.
The defective locks can give the remote user the impression that the door is locked when a simple missalignment will keep it unlocked.

yeah. I guess i am old school. Good old fashioned locks. I just think about the scenario where you are at work, or worse... on vacation, and you find out your lock failed and your home is unlocked. That is not going to happen with regular lock.

However, most locks installed in homes are extremely easy to bypass by picking or using bumpkey. In Europe, they have these crazy locks on homes because break ins are more common.

newalarm said:
yeah. I guess i am old school. Good old fashioned locks. I just think about the scenario where you are at work, or worse... on vacation, and you find out your lock failed and your home is unlocked. That is not going to happen with regular lock.
I've had automated locks for several years now, and i can tell you that locks were left unlocked far more often then the automated locks which is never.  Should I come home from vacation and find an automated lock unlocked its not a whole lot different than coming home to find a manual lock unlocked. 

You also might want to check your Europe crime stats.  Crime is higher in the US. http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/United-Kingdom/United-States/Crime

Except that if it fails and unlocks?

Whenever i go to Europe, almost everyone I know has been broken into, multiple times. Ask around here and I am hard pressed to find anyone who has been robbed. It is way too common there. They have these crazy doors that look like a safe with deadbolts that go into the sides and top of the jamb. I have NEVER seen that kind of door in the US. No one uses the keys that are typical here. Keys look more like the most sophisticated car key you have ever seen.

I am not talking about muggings or other types of crime.

newalarm said:
 They have these crazy doors that look like a safe with deadbolts that go into the sides and top of the jamb. I have NEVER seen that kind of door in the US. 
I've seen those doors in Moscow.  They're practically standard issue there.  In the US they'd make a great door for a tornado shelter or a safe room, but aside from that it would be a total security mismatch given the plethora of glass windows found on US homes.

Here I do have those Kwikset smartkey door locks.  I love how it makes rekeying so simple, and I hate that the locks are apparently easy to defeat (as one can discover  in youtube videos).  I thought about switching to Schlage, but it can also be defeated easily, also as shown on youtube.  I don't understand why major lock companies would make such insecure locks.  Is it to make the lives of locksmiths easier?

A while back, maybe still, HomeSeer's online store had some Yale z-wave locks that didn't have the exterior bypass key.  For that reason, I presume they would be a lot more secure.  With one on the front door and one on the backdoor, you probably don't have to worry about simultaneous failure of the lock hardware.  If one fails, you just use the other entrance.  However, a significant  problem was the limited choice in design aesthetic.

newalarm said:
Except that if it fails and unlocks?
I'm not sure how anyone whould know if your lock were locked or not unless they tried your door. Why would they try your door unless they were going to rob your house. If they decided they were going to rob your house, I doubt a locked door would stop them.  In fact, likely just the opposite. If someone wanting to rob your house found a door unlocked, their first thought would likely be, oh no, someone must be home, I better try the next house. 

If I had to take a guess, I'd think most people planning to rob your house would just assume the locks were locked. Do you believe they would ONLY rob your house if the doors were unlocked? 

So Mr./Mrs. robber is headed to your house, and they assume the locks are locked. Just how will they get in?
Method 1) See what type of lock you have, then use their smartphone to watch Youtube on how to defeat it OR
Method 2) Kick in the back door.

My guess method 2 would be preferred. Those who would try method 1 likely have 6 figure IT jobs. :rofl:

The only time my lock has "failed" and been unlocked is when I fail to lock it (by pressing the lock symbol on the front keypad). My wife stays at home, so an example of this happening may be if I leave knowing that she's planning to leave shortly behind me - so I leave it unlocked for her. Then, she decides to leave out of the garage door AND doesn't arm the system because she knows she'll be back shortly.

It doesn't fail on it's own and then for some reason decide to unlock itself.

Back