Smartbulb phenomenon

The TCP smart bulbs are currently priced between $17-$35 (which is around $10 more than a dumb bulb) and the price will get even closer to the price of a standard LED bulb.  Remotes will also get cheaper.  For example, GE's Clear Connect smart bulb will be compatible with Pico remotes which are $15.  When the financial argument goes away it will be hard to vote against smart bulbs because of the dimming, efficiency, and convenience benefits.

I wonder how we'll adapt trying to be sure that the switch is in the correct position when trying to turn lights on from somewhere other than the room. You'll have to flip the switch to the ON position before you leave the room, hoping that it won't turn it on as you leave. I like the idea of it but trying to teach a new technique to my wife and kids seems problematic.

Agreed... my LEDs dim just fine with my UPB switches and I can already control them from anywhere.  It'll be hard to convince me (and probably most people) to make a change until we have switches that work together with the bulbs and eliminate the hard power cutoff that prevents the bulbs from responding.  Now for other fixtures, I could see it working.

ano said:
It was pretty amusing. All I can guess is that its a rule of the show that the "sharks" don't get a chance to research products before investing, because this is much more an "entertainment" show than a real "investing" show. I have heard many of the "sharks" say they typically lose more money than they make on many of these deals. The only thing that really helps these companies is all the publicity they get from being on the show, even if nobody invests. 15 minutes of fame, I guess.
.....trimmed

I watched an episode where this guy was selling some sort of doorbell camera.  And acting like he thought of the idea  :blink: 

Back