Smoke Detectors / Multiple Zones

stargazer

I'm working on setting up some 4-wire smoke detectors in a pretty large house (11 total smoke detectors).

Planning on using the System Sensor i4 CO / Smoke Detectors.  They have a module that separates out the fire alarm and the CO alarm for the panel, which is nice.

I need the smokes / CO detectors from different parts of the house wired into different zones, so the panel knows a rough idea of that alarm was tripped.  That part is easy enough, but to satisfy local code, I need to have all the alarms go off when one is tripped.

Page 3 of the document below has a wiring diagram.  It looks like I can make the alarms go off by sending a bell output to the module.

https://www.systemsensor.com/en-us/Documents/i4Series_Module_Manual_I56-3871.pdf

With an Elk M1 gold, I'm trying to figure out what outputs I'd need to wire this module in to in order to trip a seperate "Bell" output for the smoke and CO.

Anyone done this before that could share some experience?

If you're using the I4, my recommendation, assuming you have a continuous 4/18 from each device, would be to go with a 2 wire loop. Gives you the option to add heat detectors on the second pair and still have tandem ring.

For the I4's specifically, I'd go three zones so you can take advantage of the maintenance output on the module and not have to determine via a fire trouble and look at the module itself to see really what's going on.

You wouldn't use the bell output, you'd use 2 +12V trigger/relays and then write the appropriate rules to generate tandem ring for each condition. There's a couple of tweaks that need to/should be done to get the system compliant, but it's not rocket science.

Back