Software Essentials

A good password organizer and safe place to keep them (encrypted db):

Password Safe

http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/

Runs in Windows, can be used on a network, allows mutliple clients to access it so it can be used as a shared account/pw database, etc. Nice for business- and group-level accounts that are used by multiple people, as well as private pw organization.

How could I forget the tool I use everyday...

Remote Administration

Radmin
http://www.radmin.com/

I've tried the VNC variants, but, this beats them all at response time. It also has modes for viewing the screen (no mouse/keyboard interraction), Telnet, and supports file transfer.

$35

Another IE tool. I use Netscape, but when I want to log into an account I have, I use IE with this program.

The program is called AutoLogon. It stores the website, and all form related data to log into that website with one click. It runs in the IE toolbar, and optionally in the tray. When in the tray, click choose the website and it will launch the browser, fill in the form, no matter how many fields and hit the submit button for you.

To add a new website, you just tell it "add new logon" it will watch as you log-in this one time and remember everything from that time on.

With one click, I can logon into my HomeDepot Account, Mastercard, bank, Webmail, Phone company.... you get the idea. I have over 40 login's, and surely cant remember all the usernames and passwords! The password data file that it stores everything in is encrypted and password protected. It's a single file, and is backed up daily with a HS script.

The free version supports 3 login's and the pay version is unlimited. The install is free of adaware/spyware.

The program is available FROM THEIR WEBSITE, HERE.

keep in mind that autologon stores the passwords in clear text in your registry, so if someone gets access to your computer, they have access to these accounts. I personally prefer RoboForm, has been around for years, and uses 3DES encryption if I am not mistaken.

Here's a set of useful little tools for Pocket PC. None of these were intended for HA but I found them invaluable in getting my wireless PDA hooked-up to my Leopard. All are free for personal use.

vxIPConfig provides network information - like IPConfig /all on PC.

vxUtil provides several tools for debugging network issues - E.G. Ping, Port Scan, DNS Lookup, etc.

Pocket Hosts Lets you define names for static IP addresses - like a PC Hosts file.

Pocket Tweak Gives easy access to some registry keys - like setting which program opens a given type of file.

PHM RegEdit For when all else fails. Great for adjusting network settings.

Pocket Notepad Just a pocket version of Notepad. Good for XML. Gets much more useful when next item loaded:

tGetFile Allows Pocket Notepad to access any file - rather than just those in My Documents.

Just found this tool by accident:

Serproxy
Serproxy is a multi-threaded proxy program for redirecting network socket connections to/from serial links, in cases where the remote end of the serial link doesn't have a TCP/IP stack (eg an embedded or microcontroller system). The proxy allows other hosts on the network to communicate with the system on the remote end of the serial link. The Linux version requires a recent version of libpthread to compile/run

This software has nothing to do the automation or IT. It will allow you one more escape from the MS strangle hold.Sunbird Calander and task list.

One more that I use
Open Office Replacement for MS Office. This one in the Beta version even has a database.

I use AutoIt v3. I have found it to have excellant window calling and handling commands. Plus it is a great general purpose scripting language. It comes with a built in "free" compiler to create exe's that can then be ran from most any application. There is an active x add on that will call HS commands from directly within your programs.

Later, Terry

New to the site! I love it.

I've been using a cool php script on my site to manage my links so that I have access to them from any computers (laptop, office and such). I've tried a few other link managers but SiteBar is just the best for me. It comes with plugins to intergrate to most popular browsers. totally seemless.

Cheers,

Hi,

I have authored some Insteon control Freeware and would like to make it available to all.

Linking to other forum's threads is sort of 'bad manners' but the easiest way to present this, is to do just that. Shame on me. After the April 1st joke yesterday, I do not feel guilty at all.

AccessHA Forum Link

Also, if you have any general Insteon type question, feel free to post/ask.

Regards,

Ken Miller

Update 7 May 06:
Support for this software has been frozen at SDM3 -191.

KenM said:
Hi,

I have authored some Insteon control Freeware and would like to make it available to all.

Linking to other forum's threads is sort of 'bad manners' but the easiest way to present this, is to do just that. Shame on me. After the April 1st joke yesterday, I do not feel guilty at all.

AccessHA Forum Link

Also, if you have any general Insteon type question, feel free to post/ask.

Regards,

Ken Miller
hehe, we don't mind when it benefits our members. thanks for sharing! we have a great relationship with accessha and I've even linked some how-to's over there (the antenna one).

Back