staircase sensor

amirm

Hello everyone.

I had read some place about sensors you plant during construction under the staircase so that if anyone steps on it anywhere, it can trigger a switch to turn on lights, etc. I have done a ton of searching here and other forums and can't seem to find anything. Apparently it is adjusted to the weight of the stairs and any additional load then sets it off.

Anyone know of a product that does this?

Thanks in advance.

You are looking for this.

It is a sensor you mount to the underside of the stairs and it detects the minute deflection of the stairs when someone steps on it.
I think it is just a strain guage.

--
Jayson

You are looking for this.

It is a sensor you mount to the underside of the stairs and it detects the minute deflection of the stairs when someone steps on it.
I think it is just a strain guage.

--
Jayson

Would you be able to hook one of those pulsars directly up to a ds10a?

t-483-431.jpeg

No, they are supposed to be connected to a 'processor unit'. Think of them as resistors. I have a bunch of them installed, even one under my bathtub, these are great quality sensors for sure. I am actually planning on installing a few of these under my stairs as well.

edit: I just noticed Lagerhead already responded, I am getting slow ...

No, they are supposed to be connected to a 'processor unit'.

Dan is exactly right, and I assumed too much. The "Pulsor" sensor(s) (one or more) attach only to the manufacturer's controller, and the controller has the relay interface that you can connect to just about anything.

Now, since the controller requires a 12V supply, and since the Pulsors must be wired to the controller, it's not clear what advantage you would have with a wireless DS10A.

No, they are supposed to be connected to a 'processor unit'. Think of them as resistors. I have a bunch of them installed, even one under my bathtub, these are great quality sensors for sure. I am actually planning on installing a few of these under my stairs as well.

edit: I just noticed Lagerhead already responded, I am getting slow ...

What do they do for you under the bathrub? What action do you set off?

It turns the fan on when taking a shower, and also does minor stuff like flashing the bathroom lights a certain number of times if an important event happens (e.g., phone rings, garage door opening).

It turns the fan on when taking a shower, and also does minor stuff like flashing the bathroom lights a certain number of times if an important event happens (e.g., phone rings, garage door opening).
A wireless humidity sensor will do the same and it's smart enough to shut the fan off automatically as well. These units do work well once you get them adjusted. A small IR device works equally as well.

I've used these sensors and worked with the developer of them. They do NOT detect presence, they only detect motion. In other words, your certainly welcome to put them under your tub, but they won't tell you if someone is in the tub, they will only tell you when someone enters the tub.

A tub would also be a poor application. They are very sensitive to fast temp. changes, like adding hot water to a tub. It wouldn't work. To detect when someone walks up or down a stairs is a good application which they were designed for.

I have several of these (they came with the house) and they are still working great almost 15 years after installation. One of them is quite annoying, being placed under the master bedroom male's closet where the prior owner kept his guns. The stair application is ideal -- you simply cannot traverse the stairs without being detected.

They do not detect presence, they only detect motion. . .they won't tell you if someone is in the tub, they will only tell you when someone enters the tub.

Yes they detect only changes in the floor load, but I see how they could be used in a shower or similar application, first because you are moving around while standing under the water, and second you just need to apply an overlap timer to each trigger, which will eventually time out when the person has left the shower. I actually think that Dan's application is quite clever.

They are very sensitive to fast temp. changes, like adding hot water to a tub.

I was not aware of the temperature issue. Isn't it usual to epoxy them to the joists below the pressure point? This would be some distance from the tub itself.

EDIT: spelling epoxy

Using the timer method Lagerhead described is exactly what I did. The sensor triggers every few seconds (even shifting weight without moving triggers this). Temperature wise, I have only noticed that it will turn on when I first start running the water, and the bathroom is cold, but this is not a bad thing.

I do have the sensor glued directly to the bottom of the tub (there is an access hole) for better results.

Dan,

A very intriguing use of strain sensors!

The dynamics of a shower and a bath are different. How is the scenario of long baths handled? Does the weight of a tub full of water, plus person, continuously activate the sensor? If not, is a longer-duration timer required?

Back