Structured Media Panel UPS Options

auzzzie

What are folks with structured media enclosures doing for a UPS? 

The only one I've found that fits inside is the Tripp-Lite AV550SC. While it fits, it doesn't have much juice, non-replaceable battery and pretty overpriced. 
My front runner idea right now is to wire the 5-15R outlet in my panels to a wall mount inlet style plug like the Leviton 5239 (think PowerBridge), then feed the plug with output from a wall mount UPS where I have more space. 

The other idea is a secondary cabinet connected via conduit to house just the UPS. That doesn't by me much though as there's pretty much nothing available under 3.1" thick, and they all have their plugs facing outwards so no room to get a cable in there. 

Wanted to see what others are doing. 

Here just put an old APC under a Leviton 42" media can which sits next to two OmniPro cans not connected to UPS but have batteries inside.

The can sits high on the wall such that electrical (conduit and boxes) sit underneath media panel.

The Leviton can has two ISP modems, VOIP box, patch panels, 1 24 port managed switch and 1 8 port POE switch.  (AP's are POE powered from here).

Bottom of Leviton can sort of built in supplies 120VAC, 12VDC and 5VDC.   This piece is one of those Leviton boxes which sits flush on the bottom of the can.

@auzzzie
You should leave the UPS out and not put it in the can.  A UPS needs to "breathe" which is why it has lots of vents all over the chassis. 

Best bet is to get the biggest UPS of the highest quality, like APC, that you can afford and place it wherever it makes sense. Floor models or wall mount are available, and since look is what you're looking for, you can always dress it up a bit with some cool wire looms and screw-in ties to have visual appeal.

I went with the 'Power Bridge' option, to a UPS in an adjacent rack. Two power cables running from the wall to the rack.

Back