Suggestions for a *non-metallic*, hinged, flush mounted enclosure?

OK, I think you guys have convinced me to go with surface mount in our pantry, which is one of the locations.  By the time I finish building shelves above and below it, and if I paint the enclosure to match the wall color (bright white), it probably won't matter as much whether it is surface mounted or flush mounted.

RAL said:
A common place for RF interfaces is inside a closet, on the wall above the door.  That makes it pretty invisible unless you stick your head inside the closet and look up and backwards.
That's what I do personally... in my home, it's an upstairs closet that's pretty central to the house - so if you step inside and look up above the door, that's where the Elk's wireless receivers are.  For the W800RF32, I have the unit in my SMC but the antenna up in the attic (BSR's awesome quarter-wave antenna). 

NeverDie said:
Not ideal since it doesn't have a mud-ring, but I suppose it's a "Plan B" option.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I ordered one just now from Amazon so I can take a closer look at it.

I received the Open House unit.  It actually does have venting at the top and bottom behind the cover, though I couldn't tell that from the photo on Amazon.  The cover is held in place with four small screws that screw into brass threads (obviously better than just into plastic).  So, the Pro's are the low price and the vents.  The Con's are the hassle of the four screws (versus a hinge) and the bright logo on the cover.

I took your guys advice (Thank you!) and decided to put one of the nodes in a closet, so I'll be sending the Open House back.  I could have hidden the Open House behind a painting where I was planning to put it (on an interior facing wall in a regular room), but it occurred to me that down the road when I sell the house, the painting won't be there and it would look ugly to potential buyers.

For posterity's sake, I've been happy with an AMP plastic enclosure from Solutions Direct.

I think AMP stands for Allied Molded Products. I bought an enclosure with a clear hinged cover to house my surge protector, adjacent to the load center/breaker box.

Edit: Moulded

This is the plastic enclosure I purchased:

amp_polyline_lift-off_clear.jpg

The rear flange is optional; it is recess-mounted.

http://store.solutionsdirectonline.com/amp1426cch-nema-4x-polycarbonate-enclosure-with-hinged-clear-screw-cover-14x12x6-p8191.aspx

Back