Surface mount an exterior patio light on stucco wall

homejones

Hi, not a security question, but I figure someone here may have an idea.

I would like to surface mount a set of exterior lights around the patio in our backyard. There is only one existing junction box in the stucco wall and I was thinking of running conduit from this box to the other locations.

For each new patio light, I will have to surface mount a octagon / rectangular junction box to the stucco wall and daisy chain 1/2 inch EMT conduit to all the lights. The light fixture will attach directly to the junction box, so it will sit off the wall at least 1.5 inches. I don't have the option of tearing into the stucco wall to route electric and to install junction boxes in the wall, so running conduit is my only choice.

Anyone have any ideas for making this look decent? I was thinking of building a wooden box that would attach to the wall and then meet the base of the light fixture. This would at least cover the junction box along with the unsightly gap between the wall and the light fixture. However, this seems like a bigger job than I'm ready to take on right now.

Example of the light that I will be using (looks similar to this)

Any ideas? Help is appreciated! Thanks!

I am guessing that you want to install the conduit exteriorly such that it sits on the stucco wall.

I would entertain maybe some kind of decorative trim on the stucco and incorporate that into your conduit installation unless you just want to paint the conduit on the stucco.

Take a picture of the wall then play with an overlay of the lighting/conduit and trim virtually maybe to get an idea of what it would look like.

BTW I have had similiar endeavor only with exterior brick.  I did though install single small gangboxes in the brick and ran new conduit.  It was a bit difficult and very time consuming.

You can also make your own standoff similar to the "siding box" that Del mentioned above.  If you have rudimentary wood working skills and some basic tools you can make your own wooden standoff (Cedar or other rot resistant wood) from a 2 X 8 or whatever size you want to make the standoff block.  Then just use a hole saw to cut the 4" hole for the 4-0 Jbox and a drill a hole in the side of the standoff for the conduit then mount   the whole standoff to the wall and paint it to match the stucco.  If have a router or table saw you can bevel the edge of the standoff to give it some character etc..  It will then look a little more intentional. 

You can also run conduit at the top, where the wall meets the eaves, and do drops to the lights with "T" fittings.  Since this is outside, you should probably use raintight conduit fittings.  And obviously use THWN wires, not NM cable (Romex).

Dogman said:
You can also make your own standoff similar to the "siding box" that Del mentioned above.  If you have rudimentary wood working skills and some basic tools you can make your own wooden standoff (Cedar or other rot resistant wood) from a 2 X 8 or whatever size you want to make the standoff block.  Then just use a hole saw to cut the 4" hole for the 4-0 Jbox and a drill a hole in the side of the standoff for the conduit then mount   the whole standoff to the wall and paint it to match the stucco.  If have a router or table saw you can bevel the edge of the standoff to give it some character etc..  It will then look a little more intentional. 
I like this idea. Originally, I was thinking of building a wooden box comprised of smaller pieces of wood for the sides, top and bottom. However, this is a lot more practical. Except for the fact that I have to spring for a 4" hole saw. :)

Thanks!!

homejones said:
Thanks DEL. I've seen these already, but I don't they cover up the sides, top and bottom of the integrated JBox to sit flush with my stucco wall.
Siding mounting kit with integral thread would be my choice, a single feed from up top, then pull through T-conduit bodies and drop into fittings downstream....avoids a ton of LB's or other conduit bodies. No wood fabrication and would be pretty simple, not knowing how you're feeding the cabling, etc. You could also do a header with EMT and then feed to the boxes using sealtite.

Take a look again

http://www.aifittings.com/catalog/siding-mounting-blocks/siding-mounting-kits-with-threaded-openings/

Back