Tablet as keypad / controller?

hardatk

I'm wondering if anyone uses an ipad / android tablet as their main keypad / controller? I'd like to use one to control / monitor the status of the panel, but I'd prefer to have a hardwired interface and afaik there is not an easy solution to do so...

I imagine you could hook an android up to a computer via usb and share the network with the tablet that way. That removes the unreliability of wireless, but still isn't directly connected to the panel and if the computer / network goes down so does your access.

Ideally I'd like to be able to remove the ugly single-purpose keypads, while also avoiding purchasing the insanely expensive custom touchscreens they make.. some of which are more expensive than an ipad, with worse specs!

You didn't say what controller you have but with the Elk M1 the Ipad app and the M1togo pc application need at least one physical keypad attached to the control in order to work. The software keypads emulate the physical keypad and will only have the same capabilities of that physical keypad.

Mike.

I needed at least four touch screens for my Leviton Omni Pro II install and chose to use HP Stream 7 windows 8.1 tablets as my touch screens. The reason being is that I needed the CCTV popup functionality and my Dahua CCTV DVR only provides a C/C++ and .Net SDK for programming purposes.  I also used Leviton's .Net SDK for programming the tablets. Thus, the reason for going with a Windows 8.1 tablet.

Also, the last I checked, the Leviton OT7 touchscreens still had a fair amount of issues such as camera popup failures, freezing up etc.  I'm not sure if Leviton has addressed and solved those issues.  I just didn't want to get involved with any OT7 issues and having to work with Leviton tech support in resolving those issues.

My Stream 7 touch screens operate really fast since the camera popup functionality is totally independent of the OP2 controller.  It's a wireless solution but it works really fast with seven CCTV cameras being used in a popup situation.

Best of all, it's a CHEAP solution.  I bought the Stream 7's for $99 each.

If you're not locked into a Windows solution like me, I's suggest you take a look at Space which is an iPad solution.

Hmm, I hadn't discounted a Windows tablet... but I also hadn't thought of the issues you had with certain applications requiring C++ / .NET SDKs. 

I still haven't completely decided on my controller, but at this point I am leaning towards the Omnipro II. I did look at the OT7 screens, I like that they're hardwired and seem to support the features I want... although at $500 they're still more than a regular tablet...

I'm still not sure I like wireless as a solution, but there might actually be a Windows tablet that has ethernet (crazier things have happened)

Back