TED Energy Monitoring w/two power rates

jhayden

I've got two subpanels in my house - a traditional 200a main panel, and an independently run 100a panel that powers certain large loads like a big ceramic thermal heater in the sunroom that are characterized as 'non-critical'. Each of the panels is independently metered, and the power company gives me a break on kWh costs for the second service as it's remotely controllable by them as a means of managing their power load.

TED comes with the ability to manage one of these setups (the two split core transformers for the mains, plus sending unit, plus display.) What do I need to manage this kind of odd setup?

Of course I need four CTs for the mains, plus two sending units, but the interesting question is how many of the data units do I need? I suspect, but don't know, that while a Data Unit can tally the results from more than one sending unit (this is the 400a kit they have) that the data unit's firmware only know how to deal with one kWh price.

If this is the case, I may need two full sets to track the energy usage (treat them as entirely separate systems.) But this begs the second question, can footprints track two independent systems?

On a separate note, has anyone used the API directly to the DataUnits? If I could pull the data directly from two of them, I would happily compute and chart the stuff myself.

-j

Back