The real danger of artificial intelligence

AI will succeed humans, on earth, naturally. It's evolution, and it doesn't stop with humans.

"Give a Monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe" -Fishbone

Yes. I have a cockatiel with only a 10 word vocabulary but they seem to understand when to use the phrases sometimes.

When I leave the room and turn off the lights at night the "Hello" starts in avery panicky tone as that is what I say when coming into the room.

Unrelated to AI. 

Kika is mostly attached to me.  Wife and her though do not get along that well.  IE: Wife and her will cuss each other out; then when I walk in to the room; she will coo me and tell me that she loves me.

Yeah wife here had a parakeet that had learned to talk and had a decent vocabulary many years ago.  

I got Kika (parrot) when she was a few weeks old back around 1977 (she is not 40 yet)  plucked from her nest.   She was the size of my thumb and didn't really have feathers.  I feed her with a nose dropper for a few weeks.  She is a Amazon Blue Crown and one of largest of the Amazon parrot family.  She is not too colorful. 

In the 1980's dog would walk up to the cage and bark.  Kika was never in her cage mostly sitting on top of it.

One day she pounced on the dog (medium sized) and bit the dog in the snout.  Blood everywhere; dog never barked at her again.

She has alway been good with my kids and today she has been smitten by my grandchildren.  She does let them do whatever whenever and mostly likes it when they feed her treats.

I have pictures of her at just about every family gathering in the home going back many years now.  I have been turning on the TV for her in the morning and she enjoys watching it.
She lives in the breakfast nook (it is a big nook)  between a 30 year old lime tree and a 20 year old palm tree.
blue-fronted-amazon-parrot.jpg
kikapic.jpgKika-head.jpgkikahead2.jpg
A little bit of a description of the Amazon Blue Crown.

The Blue-fronted Amazon Parrot, Amazona aestiva, is a very sociable extrovert, which loves to showoff. These pretty birds have long been popular as pets and are one of the most commonly kept Amazon species.

Also known as a blue front parrot or turquoise fronted parrot, they are mentioned in literature written well over 100 years ago. This is an attractive bird with vivid coloring as an adult, yet each adult will have its own feathering pattern. The Blue Fronted Parrot is known to have one of the longest life spans, at least 40 plus years, with the potential of reaching nearly a century in captivity. This is an intelligent parrot that can be trained to perform tricks and to talk. Comical and entertaining, the Blue-Front Parrot is a bird that you will frequently see in live animal acts. They love to learn and they even can sing. They definitely love music. They can speak and some Blue-fronted Amazons speak just as well as the yellow Amazon parrots like the Double Yellow-headed Amazon, Amazona oratrix, or the Yellow-crowned Amazon, Amazona ochrocephala.

The Blue-Front Amazon can be quite independent, but it is one of the easier going Amazons. It will probably have a favorite in the family, however will normally consider the entire family to be part of its flock and behave accordingly.

Yet it can become quite attached to one person and if it is not socialized well, will frequently dive bomb anything it feels is a threat to its human. In general all Amazons can be quite protective of their human counterparts. It is important to socialize this parrot starting at a young age. Blue-fronted Amazons like interaction but are quite content to entertain themselves for hours at a time just playing with their toys. The Blue-Front gets along quite well with other birds. It is usually non-aggressive although the males might get a little territorial during breeding season or molting.

The Blue-fronted Amazon Amazona aestiva was first described by Linnaeus in 1758. It is also known as the Blue Front Parrot and Turquoise-fronted Amazon. It is native to Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay and Northern Argentina. In the wild they live in flocks. They inhabit forests and wooded areas where they feed on fruits, berries, seeds, nuts, and the blossoms and leafy buds of foliage.

The Blue-fronted Amazon Parrot, Amazona aestiva, is a very sociable extrovert, which loves to showoff. These pretty birds have long been popular as pets and are one of the most commonly kept Amazon species.

pete_c said:
Unrelated to AI. 

Kika is mostly attached to me.  Wife and her though do not get along that well.  IE: Wife and her will cuss each other out; then when I walk in to the room; she will coo me and tell me that she loves me.

Yeah wife here had a parakeet that had learned to talk and had a decent vocabulary many years ago.
but did it coo and tell her that it loved her?  Ya gotta love that!
pete_c said:
I got Kika (parrot) when she was a few weeks old back around 1977 (she is not 40 yet)  plucked from her nest.   She was the size of my thumb and didn't really have feathers.  I feed her with a nose dropper for a few weeks.  She is a Amazon Blue Crown and one of largest of the Amazon parrot family.  She is not too colorful. 

In the 1980's dog would walk up to the cage and bark.  Kika was never in her cage mostly sitting on top of it.

One day she pounced on the dog (medium sized) and bit the dog in the snout.  Blood everywhere; dog never barked at her again.

and she is going to live forty years. I love dogs but Kika gets the last laugh.

pete_c said:
She has alway been good with my kids and today she has been smitten by my grandchildren.  She does let them do whatever whenever and mostly likes it when they feed her treats.

I have pictures of her at just about every family gathering in the home going back many years now.  I have been turning on the TV for her in the morning and she enjoys watching it.
She lives in the breakfast nook (it is a big nook)  between a 30 year old lime tree and a 20 year old palm tree.

Thanks for the pics, pets are special and I feel sorry for people that have never lived with animals.They don't know what they're missing.

Mike.

Toyota will invest $1 billion in artificial intelligence with a focus on self-driving cars
By Jason Hahn — November 7, 2015

Toyota is making a $1 billion bet on artificial intelligence with a particular focus on self-driving cars, expanding on a recent investment in the field. The impetus for the bolder step into an arena populated by the likes of Google, Apple, and Facebook: the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games in Tokyo.

The big R&D investment by Toyota is a marked change from the Japanese automaker’s typically guarded approach to automated driving. Company President Akio Toyoda admitted that the company used to say that it would dive into that space only if a self-driving car could beat humans in a 24-hour race.

“But I changed my mind after I got involved with planning of the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games (in Tokyo),” he said, adding that it helped him see the need for this technology for the disabled and elderly.

The five-year, $1 billion endeavor will establish its foothold in Silicon Valley and function under the new company Toyota Research Institute. The entity, which will hire about 200 staff, will start with laboratories near Stanford University and MIT, according to The New York Times. Gill Pratt, a former MIT professor and former official at the Defense Advanced Projects Research Agency (DARPA), has been named the CEO of the institute.

“We want to create cars that are both safer and incredibly fun to drive,” Pratt said. He went on to explain that he envisioned a car equipped with a “guardian angel” in the form of sensors and software to protect human drivers rather than remove them from the picture altogether. This approach is already being tested in Toyota’s “Highway Teammate.”

“Our initial goals are to: 1) improve safety by continuously decreasing the likelihood that a car will be involved in an accident; 2) make driving accessible to everyone, regardless of ability; and 3) apply Toyota technology used for outdoor mobility to indoor environments, particularly for the support of seniors,” Pratt said in Toyota’s press release. “We also plan to apply our work more broadly, for example to improve production efficiency and accelerate scientific discovery in materials.”

Pratt recently joined Toyota to lead the company’s initial plan to invest $50 million over five years in artificial intelligence research.

I would call this smart technology but not AI.

I always understood AI was defined as the ability to learn, not execute preprogrammed decisions.

Of course, everybody wants to classify their own product as AI these days.

Anybody have a good definition of what AI is actually defined as formally?

I think the OP question is too vague.  Its like asking whether genetic engineering or nuclear physics will become a threat.  Like any powerful tool, it might someday become that, but only if there are humans who push it in that direction.

Edit:  ...and of course, there's sure to be at least some humans who want to push in that direction.

Therefore, it's more likely to arise sooner from that than from a machine spontaneously becoming malevolent out of thin air.

Yes

AI does start to become a blur of sorts when using terms like:

What we do have is a hazy description of what intelligent behavior looks like, and so far all our AI efforts have concentrated on mimicking some elements of that behavior.

The descriptions are within the realm of said author's knowledge base; which is limiting to some and not to others.

IE:

There are issues today with genetic mapping with two basic entities; simply stated; one for profit and one for the study of same said.

Many universities today use a common genome database where as there are many companies out there stating once a custom genome (for a solution of sorts) is made even though the roots of said genome are public domain the changes are private domain and not for public consumption.

The particular knowledgebase of genetic engineering is two distinct worlds today. 

Relating to being able to freeze cellular division, swap out genetic material, un freeze cellular division is now decades old and while once privy to what/who ever is not anymore.  Genetic material swapping is also now decades old.

nuclear physics is the same in a way....and it started also decades ago..

.....yesterday listened for a time to a radio program that spoke to the core components of our planet and the study of how it became. One host on the radio show spoke of deep core tunneling that no one really has an interest in except for geo physics type folks and it does relate to how our planet came to be and the study of meteors and stars and planets and so forth and so on....well too that have not yet reached the center or even tapped in to the core of our planet and mostly right now it is an impossible task with current technologies.

So the OP really was only touching on the surface of Artificial Intelligence. 

Really its about the consumption of a machine of just what makes us tick.....

A bit of brevity here...why not? 

[youtube]http://youtu.be/kAG39jKi0lI[/youtube]

Well, AI has a pretty big set of hurdles to clear.  Automating tasks does require a degree of intelligence.  Repetitive stuff like what drives factory machines is relatively simple and largely free of much need for any kind of adaptability.

The big question, one with no real answer yet, is WHY?  Sure, there's all kinds of ways to distill all manner of actions down to programmatically executable instructions.  But even if it becomes possible to automate all the way down to the atomic bond level that still won't answer the question.  WHY does anything do what it does?  Why do any higher forms of consciousness bother expending the energies to do anything beyond mere replication/procreation?

This reminds me of my favorite observation regarding the mismatch between technology developers and the real world.  Asking some of these incredibly gifted, but psychologically-stunted folks to create devices for the lifestyles of 'normal' people was like asking deaf people to make musical instruments.  No insults intended toward the disabled, of course, it's just an analogy.  Likewise I have to think the folks working on AI software may be as radically ill-equipped.  

Yeah, lots of what seem like amazing tasks are going to get automated.  Personally, I'd welcome more personal transport automation.  It'd sure lower my stress level to take the driving responsibilities away from folks.

Until the question of WHY is addressed, all this AI stuff isn't really going to amount to much, threat-wise.  

Big WHY for big AI I don't worry about too much. The effort and dream seems to be an intractible part of being human.

One of the best small-ai WHY answers I heard when I worked in the field came up during a contract at the Savannah River Site.

The problem at hand fell into the catagory of 'the knowledge legacy of the unavailable expert' ( inside joke: KLUE ) and the programming involved was modeling the experts knowldege of how necular waste products interact under odd circumstances. "Only Dr. Joe knows what these two things may do and he's out fly fishing somewhere... and the maintenance crew just knocked over a few beakers out in building 87."

So we picked a lot of brains and built object models and collobarating rule systems for response situations.

It was very interesting. That's a good AI system.

Security was quite obnoxious: they didn't like the look of this long haired Californian dude showing up every day. They used to give me lectures at the gates. I just said to myself: "What do they know about me, where I've been or what I've done?" and tapped my sneaker until the minimum wage redneck got their steam out. 

Heh, I had a similar experience with security.  After the 3rd time of wasting too much of my time, I very pleasantly asked "Now that you've wasted enough of my time, should I go waste MORE of it finding out who's supposed to CHEW YOUR ASS OUT?  Because, I'm sure I'll piss off a whole bunch of people, calling the wrong folks, wasting their time, going up the chain of command, all the while letting them know who caused it.  Or, you can just get me through here and out of your hair without any more nonsense.  How should it go?"  Waved through with a smile after that.  

Rule responses become interesting when some degree of damage, injury or death is going to HAVE to occur.  As in, yep, you gotta go or else us and the whole area are going up.  I seem to recall reading something regarding that and automated vehicles.  As in, it has to hit you, jaywalking in the street, not the crowd of people on the curb.

Interesting article that cropped up today.

Six Million Dollar Plant: Scientists grow cyborg roses

A team of researchers has created living rose plants with electronic circuits threaded through their veins.

by Michelle Starr@riding_red / 23 November 20153:39 pm AEDT

aroseisaroseisarose.jpg

When you think of cyborgs, plants probably aren't the first thing that pops into your head, but it's time for that to change. A team of researchers at the Laboratory for Organic Electronics at Linköping University in Sweden has managed to grow living roses with electronic circuits threaded through their vascular systems.

The team, led by professor Magnus Berggren, sees several possibilities in the project, including the surveillance and regulation of plant growth, and the potential to tap into photosynthesis as a means of generating power. The research has been published in the journal Science Advances.

The research isn't quite at that stage yet, but they have been able to change the hue of the rose's leaves by applying an electrical current to the system. It's an impressive start, following two years of research and development, and opens new avenues for studying what happens inside plants.

"Previously, we had no good tools for measuring the concentration of various molecules in living plants," said co-author Ove Nilsson, professor of plant reproduction biology at the Umeå Plant Science Centre. "Now we'll be able to influence the concentration of the various substances in the plant that regulate growth and development. Here, I see great possibilities for learning more."

What's remarkable is that it uses the plant's own architecture and biology. But getting to that point was not as simple as running wires through the plant. Instead, the idea was to introduce conductive polymers into the plant's system. These were dissolved in water, and cut rose stems placed in the water to see if the polymer would be wicked up into the plant's xylem, the channel in a plant's stem that carries water to the leaves.

The team tried over a dozen different polymers that didn't work, either poisoning the plant, clogging the xylem, or both.

They eventually reached success with a polymer called PEDOT-S:H. When the rose stems were placed in a PEDOT-S:H solution, they absorbed the material readily. Living plants also absorbed it, albeit more slowly, through their root systems. The polymer created a thin film inside the xylem, eventually forming a solid wire as long as 10 centimetres, which the team used to create a basic transistor. The xylem could also continue to absorb water and other nutrients normally.

The team also sent another variant of PEDOT together with a nanocellulose into the rose's leaves. The cellulose forms a tiny, sponge-like 3D structure within the leaves, and the pockets in the sponge then fill with the polymer. This creates electrochemical cells, fed by electrolytes in the liquid in the leave. When an electrical current is applied, this slightly changes the hue of the leaf.

"Now we can really start talking about 'power plants' -- we can place sensors in plants and use the energy formed in the chlorophyll, produce green antennas or produce new materials. Everything occurs naturally, and we use the plants' own very advanced, unique systems," Berggren said.

"As far as we know, there are no previously published research results regarding electronics produced in plants. No one's done this before."

Back