The U-Socket is Here

ano

I've been following these for almost a year now and they are finally shipping.
U-Socket
A great idea. I wish I thought of them.

I still need to finish the electrical in my office and thought this would be cool for the desk outlets....but at $26???
I guess they need to follow the "Apple code" of overcharging for a "pretty" product.

With the challenges reported by people trying to get ALC systems (LV control cable in same box as line voltage) accepted by their electrical inspectors, I wonder how this got approved. I hope we see more of it!

I still need to finish the electrical in my office and thought this would be cool for the desk outlets....but at $26???
I guess they need to follow the "Apple code" of overcharging for a "pretty" product.

It costs a fortune to get something through UL approval, while it might 'look' expensive, certifications and quality testing is very expensive and has to be passed on somehow. It's not like they can sell these at a loss.

I have to agree with Dan, with the costs of getting a product like this to market, it is not such an unreasonable price. Frankly, with how useful the product would be for me I didn't see any problem with the price at all!

Basically this is a power supply (with 2 outputs) and a 120 V outlet combined. An apple power supply for your iphone or ipod is $29 or so retail for one output(a rip off) and they make millions of them in a year. This will be a much lower volume product.

Since this is a little unique I would guesstimate the UL evaluation cost to be $10K to $12K. Then the annual costs to maintain the UL Listing could be another $3K to $5K per year.

I am surprised that they can make any money at $26 and I would imagine that the price will go up after they get some out there.

As far as mixing LV power limted output and HV mains in the same enclosure I think it is actually easier in this application then others since everything seems to be contained in the device. Cant be sure just from the pictures.

And to think I was mad at myself for not running USB power to outlets in the kitchen. This is perfect!

I too don't think around 25 bucks is bad, this is a specialty product. It is low volume and has UL. I'm surprised it is so cheap. I'm a little surprised they can put a LV device in with a HV receptacle, but I am no code expert.

Alright...you guys are correct in your assessments. Sometimes I'm a little trigger happy when it comes to Apple products :p

Not a problem, sometimes it's hard to figure out why things can be so expensive for something so 'simple'.

and why is this related to apple in any way?
oh I see because it's made by a company that make other products that work with apple products.
for those biased anti apple guys read the description of this product correctly it works for any device I repeat any device that needs a 5v supply and at 25 bucks it's cheaper than a fancy lutron decora switch or any other electrical manufacturer for the matter without the USB functionality.
again apple does not make this product so why even start with the biased comments like "Apple code" of overcharging for a "pretty" product."
to keep this in context, im not an apple employee or own their stocks but i do appreciate fine engineering and great design and that has a price, if you dont wanna pay it then you dont have to.
before apple designed the micro usb charger that comes with the iphones and ipods, most power supplies for similar phone and devices where ugly and bulky, but innovation drives competition and competition benefits everybody. now i can see in the market other companies making similar small factor power adapters for devices, so you... the consumer ....can benefit from it as well...see the pattern?

Recently I added another GPS which has a USB, Bluetooth and serial port on it. I have it mounted in the attic (antenna works well enough to see more than 10 satellites). I wanted a small USB style power supply for it and purchased an Apple very small footprint USB PS for about $.99 imported. Its been working fine now for over 4 months. I like this idea though for a smaller footprint but fine right now with the $.99 import - maybe would consider this outlet for say $10; not $25 though.

Anyone more technical than me that can confirm at what speeds this would charge an iPad?

Reference:
http://www.macworld.com/article/150356/2010/04/ipadcharging.html

Looks like it supports 2.4A @ 5 VDC, the iPad power supply is rated at 2.1A, so it should be identical.

Back