The Ultimate Home Automation Hardware List

no smart controller list would be complete w/o Companion contorl appliances. Supporting many protocols inlcuding HAI, Ocelot control as well as any IR device, HTML contorl and many, many pre-integrated serial drivers for a robust list of plug and play solutions

Hi wizard, welcome to CocoonTech. I looked at your site, but a quick look didn't reveal any product which supports all the stuff you just mentioned. Feel free to start a new thread in the HA forum, and introduce your products with some more details if you don't mind ;)

electron,

I noticed that this list became the Ultimate Home Automation Hardware Controller List.

It would be nice to create another thread for the Ultimate HA Lightning Control Network List. I would divide them in Non-hardwired (X-10, UPB, Z-Wave, Insteon, ZigBee, etc.) vs Hardwired (Centralite, OnQ, Light-O-Rama, etc.).

I know most of these control network technologies can be used for control other things than ligthining, but opening the door to all control network technologies would create a huge list of dissimilar products (IR, RS-485/232, Ethernet, WiFi, POTS).

My two cents worth for this post: a comparison matrix that I found at Homevision´s website which compares features and pricing for several of the mentioned controllers:

HomeVision-Pro
HomeVision
StarGate
TimeCommander +
Ocelot
Leopard
HouseLinc
TouchLinc

http://www.csi3.com/HV_COMP.HTM

In the hardware list what does "I/O" mean? Input/Output I'm sure, but what does this really mean. It seems to me that most of the features involve some type of I/O, so I'm confused on what the explicit mention of I/O is in reference to.

Thanks,

Johnny

I think this is "hard wired" I/O. I assume it includes:

contact closure/alarm type inputs
and/or opto-isolated/voltage inputs
and/or analog inputs
and/or voltage/open collector outputs
and/or relay outputs

telinal said:
My two cents worth for this post: a comparison matrix that I found at Homevision´s website which compares features and pricing for several of the mentioned controllers:...http://www.csi3.com/HV_COMP.HTM
That's a nice start, even if - as I expect - biased, at least in terms of criteria selection, toward the host.

Something which would allow you to click through on a rating cell (yes/no, relative ranking 1-5, # of inputs, etc.) through to an explanatory sheet, "poll" of users, subgrid, etc.) would be really cool.

There'd be the issue of deciding on criteria, of course. And the table could never be expected to be perfect in some subjective areas but should be in more objective ones ("programmability" vs. # of inputs). In any case, it would be really helpful as a starting point for researching options. Right now the option that I think is most important is support for the various new communication protocols (Insteon, Zwave, etc.).

Obviously there is the "small" matter of the development...I'm not sure if that would be really difficult or relatively trivial in php (which is different than trivial) or I imagine it would already exist....

Hi

I'm new to "home automation" and wanted to try turning my computer into a control centre. i have investigated x10, specifically the cm15a, and found it basic (as you guys say). but is it really THAT dumb. I don't need anything extraordinary, and i'm a basic C# programmer with .net 2.0.

Basically, would it be worth the savings of getting the x10 cm15a if i have to deal with the "dumbness" of it?

i haven't found any really good .net framework libraries for the cm15a either. does any one know of them?

This seems to be the post that attracts first time posts. :huh:

How about adding Universal Devices new ISY-26 for Insteon.

Only thing is it does not have one of those SM laser etched wallwarts. ;)

'Dumb' Controllers

The old CP290 from X10 was with software for C128 (!) DOS, Windows (designed for W3.11 but running also under W2k) and Mac.
It is simply a timer which could handle up to 255 events for all 255 X10-adresses.
Worked fine at my farm for irrigation until I changed to an ELK-system this year.
Even now (2007) you find some improved software for this controller.

BTW I wouldn't count the interfaces TW523/PSC05 etc as "dumb controllers".
They are interfaces and you need very special software to control them.

Hello all,

I would like to include our ISY-26 to your list of Intelligent Controllers. ISY-26 is web enabled controller for Insteon and it does not require any sofware installation (beyond JRE): you plug it into the network, it automatically shows up on "My Network Places" on all the computers on the network and you are ready to go.

Unlike 99% of other Insteon Controllers in the market, ISY-26 programs individual Insteon devices and thus uses Insteon to its full potential without having to act as the central brain to direct traffic.

ISY comes equipped with a sophisticated scheduler and trigger management and can send notifications to SMS, pagers, emails, etc.
ISY is accessible through:
Any Java enabled browser
Any operating system (including MAC/OS)
Microsoft Media Center (XP)
Microsoft Media Center (Vista)
Pocket PC (Windows Mobile)

We do have a vibrant community of users whose input is the major driving force behind our releases. As a matter of fact, almost 90% of the features in our product come directly from our users.

And, finally, we were the Best Seller in the New/Home Automation category for 2 months straight at SmartHome ( http://www.smarthome.com/12230P.html)

For more information about ISY's capabilities:
http://forum.universal-devices.com
http://universal-devices.com/products.htm

We'd also be delighted to hear from you and your suggestions/feedback:
[email protected]

With kind regards,
Michel Kohanim
Universal Devices Inc.

This seems to be the post that attracts first time posts. :)

How about adding Universal Devices new ISY-26 for Insteon.

Only thing is it does not have one of those SM laser etched wallwarts. :)

There is also the ELK MM443 family.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt

Right!

In combination with Savoy's CyberHouse they were years ahead of their time when introduced ca 1999. Last I knew, the latest version of CH could still be downloaded and is/was designed to work without key, serial number or license with the S-suffix versions of Elk's Magic Module MM443's. (Latest service pack is dated 2/20/2007.)

Within CyberHouse one can create rules for the Magic Module MM443S's using a point-n-click interface, or text editor, and then with a few more clicks, CyberHouse will compile the rule to assembly code and download it to the PIC MCU in the MM443S so that it can operate stand-alone or in coperation with the PC over RS-485. All to a little, paintable box that can hide in plain sight like a smoke detector.

IMO/E, nothing else like it for the combination of power, elegance, simplicity and dependability -- before or since.

Sure would be a splendid day for HA if Elk chose to support the MM443S via the Elk M1G ! This would provide distributed, standalone smarts and I/O to an M1G-based HA system.

... Marc

Back