Understanding Elk Voice Dial Behavior

mstarks01

I finally got my Elk hooked up to the phone line, but am confused as to how the notification works. Currently, I have four numbers set as primary, which, I thought, meant that each number would be dialed consecutively if an event happened. I figured the backup was only used in situations where the first call failed to complete.

I have a rule to dial one number when any alarm happens. Elk did indeed dial the number, but it left a message! Heh, that's all well and good, but there really is no sense of urgency in that situation.

What is the correct way to do the following: call the primary, if not acknowledged by #, call each consecutive number in the list until someone acknowledges. Do I need to program each of those numbers independently into the rules, or should designating them as backups be enough?

Also, do I need to have a separate rule for each trouble/alarm condition? I see where you can set it to dial on any alarm/trouble, but will it play the appropriate message (fire, burglar, etc)?

Back